Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine Miss Need Help

Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Miss Need Help

Got a problem with my 02 f150 (5.4 L V8 Triton). Engine started missing (threw a code) about 3 months ago. I have almost 200k mi on truck, so I changed plugs and #3 coil (per OBD scanner), and it cleared things up for a month or so. Started missing again, and OBD pointed to #5 cyl. Replaced coil and plug. Ran fine for 2 weeks. Started missing again this week, and haven't done anything to it yet. Wondering if any one here has had reoccuring issues with this model or if all the coils tend to go bad around the same time?
Also, do the individual coils go back to an ignition module or to the CPU? possible module problem if so?
Any help would be great as I am getting frustrated and tired of pulling plugs and coils b/c they are a pain in this model!
Don't think it is injectors due to infrequency of the problem.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bretneck
Got a problem with my 02 f150 (5.4 L V8 Triton). Engine started missing (threw a code) about 3 months ago. I have almost 200k mi on truck, so I changed plugs and #3 coil (per OBD scanner), and it cleared things up for a month or so. Started missing again, and OBD pointed to #5 cyl. Replaced coil and plug. Ran fine for 2 weeks. Started missing again this week, and haven't done anything to it yet. Wondering if any one here has had reoccuring issues with this model or if all the coils tend to go bad around the same time?
Also, do the individual coils go back to an ignition module or to the CPU? possible module problem if so?
Any help would be great as I am getting frustrated and tired of pulling plugs and coils b/c they are a pain in this model!
Don't think it is injectors due to infrequency of the problem.
Its suggested that once the coils begin to fail, you replace them all at once.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 AM

thanks for your help, will try next!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 AM

basic things that can keep an engine from running. Three fundamental things can happen: a bad fuel, lack of pressure or trouble with ignition. Beyond that, thousands of minor things can create problems,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Miss Need Help