Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine knock plus exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock plus exhaust rattle

I just got my 06 F150 5.4 back from the shop where they replaced the a/c compressor, steering shaft, and rear main seal. Today I was backing out of my driveway and I had to cut the wheel all the way to the right to avoid my neighbors garbage can and I heard a knocking noise and it died. Put it in park fired right back up drove about 60 miles and ran like a champ. What could cause this does anyone know. I did do a search and found that some others have had a similar issue and was caused by a back pressure issue could that be the cause? Now to the exhaust rattle. Not a loud rattle but upon acceleration I can hear a slight rattle. I chocked this up to a loose heat shield and kind of let it slide since I have heard it since I bought the truck last October. Then since it finally started getting nice i crawled under to inspect and everything seems secure. It is very noticeable in places like drive thru and when surrounded by houses due to echo. I am not sure if the two issues are related at all just figured I would put it out there and see if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

The exhaust rattle deal sounds like it could be a catalytic converter going bad, where the innards of the converter have broken loose from the inner walls of the converter. You can get under your truck and bump the converters with the side of your fist and see if they rattle. You'll usually here it more at idle or near idle.

Quick Reply: Engine knock plus exhaust rattle