Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

engine dies while driving or coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine dies while driving or coming to a stop

Hello all!

Im working on my dads 86 F150 302 EFI 2wd. I have fixed many issue on the ol ford but this time Im stumped! Im a classic car with a carb kinda guy I need help when it comes to computers and EFI engines.

Yesterday my dad said the truck up and died on him while driving. Today it happened twice to us on the freeway. No reason just up and died. We pulled over put it in park sat stumped and confused then started it up like normal. Few miles down the road it dies again but then fires up on its own 2 or 3 seconds later. At times it even dies while coming to a stop 10mph-0mph.

What are some things I should look at that might be causing it to die while driving/stopping?

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

theres a ignition control module in the distributor.....them things are always going bad... and thats what they do... might check that... it bolts to the distributor and has a wide plug on it ... there around 40 bucks for a new one ..or just find one at a junk yard...if you find one cheap i would get another one ...haha... could also be the coil or even coil wire

do you know if its running out of fuel..... does it just cut off completely...

ps... we have to talk about the ol el camino when we get this ford going ... (chevy guy here **cough cough**)

hope i have helped you

Last edited by bobkyle2; 03-24-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
theres a ignition control module in the distributor.....them things are always going bad... and thats what they do... might check that... it bolts to the distributor and has a wide plug on it ... there around 40 bucks for a new one ..or just find one at a junk yard...if you find one cheap i would get another one ...haha... could also be the coil or even coil wire

do you know if its running out of fuel..... does it just cut off completely...

ps... we have to talk about the ol el camino when we get this ford going ... (chevy guy here **cough cough**)

hope i have helped you

Ive changed the ignition control module once already. Its not running out of fuel my dad had near a full tank the first time then about 1/2 yesterday. It did it once today getting on the freeway shut off then back on by itself within a second or 2 idk how much fuel tho.

Yes it completly shuts off. No flutter or roughness just dies.

Would having the ignition control module tested tell me? Or is this one of the problems that wont show up in a test?

PM me about my El Camino. Its safer that way
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

what about the distributor,coil,condinsor...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
>>-------->

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it just started doing this out of no where i would say its the ignition mod ( aka:brain box) the things are know for working one second and not the next... check the plug ins on the mod and see if they aren't missing the little latches because sometimes if they are the can bounce and loose connection for a second when you hit a bump... it just doesn't sound like a coil problem to me... i would check those plug ins and go to an auto parts store and get one plug it in see if it shuts off if it does clean the mod off and take it back. but to me that sounds like that could be the problem. hope it help!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 PM

Not the dizzy itself no. I put on a new coil at the same time I changed the control mod.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by deer-fear-me27
if it just started doing this out of no where i would say its the ignition mod ( aka:brain box) the things are know for working one second and not the next... check the plug ins on the mod and see if they aren't missing the little latches because sometimes if they are the can bounce and loose connection for a second when you hit a bump... it just doesn't sound like a coil problem to me... i would check those plug ins and go to an auto parts store and get one plug it in see if it shuts off if it does clean the mod off and take it back. but to me that sounds like that could be the problem. hope it help!

Ill try that out tomorrow. I have a short day at work thankfully. I just hope we dont get stuck away from home. Either way I know what Im looking at now. Ill fill you in tomorrow when I get to working on the truck.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 86worker
Hello all!

Im working on my dads 86 F150 302 EFI 2wd. I have fixed many issue on the ol ford but this time Im stumped! Im a classic car with a carb kinda guy I need help when it comes to computers and EFI engines.

Yesterday my dad said the truck up and died on him while driving. Today it happened twice to us on the freeway. No reason just up and died. We pulled over put it in park sat stumped and confused then started it up like normal. Few miles down the road it dies again but then fires up on its own 2 or 3 seconds later. At times it even dies while coming to a stop 10mph-0mph.

What are some things I should look at that might be causing it to die while driving/stopping?

Thank you,
Ryan
I had an 86 ranger v6 that started doing the same thing. finally found it was the computer.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Well I changed the ignition control module and it seems to be fix. Only time will tell tho.

Thank you for the help!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

sweet ....glad you still have faith in that ol jewel...haha

Quick Reply: engine dies while driving or coming to a stop