Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Which engine? Best for making a performance type truck?

Old 11-24-2016, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine? Best for making a performance type truck?

Ok so im looking at buying a new 2016 f 150. But my head is spinning trying to make a decision on which engine to pick. This is kind of a 2 part question. Which is the best engine? What one would be best suited if i wanted to mod it to more of a performance style muscle truck. Lower it a little , 22 inch wheels and tune for power. It looks like they all make great power especially both ecoboost engines. The 5.0 would be great for the V8 sound for the build but i think the ecobeast engines are better for cheap power with just a tune. The V8 would have to be Supercharged and dont have the coin for that. Saw a nice white 5.0 on youtube on 22 inch wheels and supercharged. Since i cant afford the blower i was thinking doing a similar set up but with the twin turbo 3.5 tuned. This is a really tough call. Id be trading in my 16 Camaro SS which i really dont wannt too but im in need of 4wd. Id like to have the best of both worlds hence making it into a performance type truck and cool style.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually probably wouldn't lower it. Doubt that would be good where i live. But either route even lifting it the engine choice is a tough one. Its like the 2.7 in the 16 is the quickest because its only slightly less powerful then the 5.0 and 3.5 but its a lot lighter. Both ecoboost engine are a tune away from tons of power over stock. The 5.0 sounds amazing tho especially with upgraded exhaust.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

The 2.7 would probably be the quickest out of the box (crazy, right?) but with a tune and some mild bolt ons, the 3.5 will get you some seriously ridiculous power.

Also keep in mind if you can wait a bit, Ford is giving the 3.5 a power bump for 2017:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F...nth_generation
Old 12-18-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify...if two trucks are equipped the EXACT same way - with rear gearing being the most important factor - the 2.7 is NOT quicker than the 3.5 out of the box. There are many comparisons out there saying the 2.7 is faster, but when you look into them a little closer it turns out that trucks with different gearing are being compared. There is nothing magic about the smaller "economy" engine, but it is still impressive since it is only a couple ticks behind when everything else is equal. Of course Ford doesn't mind this misconception, since they get better gas credits for each smaller engine truck that they can sell.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want pure performance you should really look at the new 3.5 in the 2017s. They are getting what I would consider a significant boost in torque and power a bit, 375 and 470 lbft is no joke and considerably more than the 2.7. Also if the react like any of the other ecos after a tune you're looking at around 50 more hp and about a hundred foot pounds after a tune, now your looking at 400+ and nearly 600 lbft of torque.....your now making some diesels blush. That's going to be the fastest truck you can buy even with the slightly lower gearing.

The 2.7 does have that CGI block but is anyone ever going to throw enough boost at one to tell the difference? I don't know....you're going to break rods or push the heads off far before you reach a failure point with the block.

Last edited by loki993; 01-09-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Search this Thread