Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

EGR Restricted air flow

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Restricted air flow

New guy here,old problem though. Hello guys, I am getting a EGR restricted air flow code. I have changed the EGR valve and the DPFE. I am still getting a hesitation at any speed and this thing seems to be getting worse. A mechanic friend said to pull the trottlebody elbow off and clean it out. I have pulled the vaccum hose off the brake booster and put some seafoam in while the truck was idiling, but this has done nothing to help. Please, I need some help, my truck is a 01 supercrew with the 4.6 Triton and she's all mine! I bought her new on Sept 00, and I just can't bare to trade her in. Thanks, Tim
UPDATE: I got it all cleaned out and changed the EVR solenoid. Still ran like crap! I took it to the dealer and found it needed a new coil pack and plug on the #4 cylinder. She runs like a new one now!!

Last edited by Rd2nowr; 06-25-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the code you are getting P0401?? if you have already changed the egr and dpfe, assuming he cleaned all the ports then the only thing left is the evr solenoid. Its the solenoid that controls vacuum to the egr valve. Make sure you dont have any leaks in any of the lines to the evr and from there to the egr valve.
If you can find the evr solenoid, pop the cap off the top that has the little mini air filter under it, there is a hole in the center where it bleeds vacuum. Put youre finger over the hole and it should turn the egr on and stall the truck or atleast start running very rough... That will atleast tell you if the mechanical side of the system is working.. If all that is ok than you could have a pcm or wiring problem but I really doubt it
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 AM

have you checked the air tube from the exhaust to the egr? it has two silicone hoses that come off of it to the DPFE. in between these hoses on the inside of the pipe is a metered oriface. occasionally here at the shop we see little chunks of carbon blocking this hole. usually right after a fuel injection service (decarbonization). unbolt the egr pipe and run compressed air into the pipe from the egr side. if something is blocking the oriface it should clear up.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM

You have to pull the the throtle body off the intake and there are two oval shaped holes that get completly cloged up. You have to sometime even dig it out and then use carb cleaner to clean it. Takes about 30 minutes to do it and have it running again.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by wrenchheadk
have you checked the air tube from the exhaust to the egr? it has two silicone hoses that come off of it to the DPFE. in between these hoses on the inside of the pipe is a metered oriface. occasionally here at the shop we see little chunks of carbon blocking this hole. usually right after a fuel injection service (decarbonization). unbolt the egr pipe and run compressed air into the pipe from the egr side. if something is blocking the oriface it should clear up.
bout how much does decarbonizing goes for?

Quick Reply: EGR Restricted air flow