Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > Engine / Drivetrain Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read StoreVendor Directory

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
big member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post EGR ports clogged??? i think???

Sooooo- my check engine light comes on. I get the code and it seems like my EGR ports are needing some cleaning. Had the dealer do this about 4yrs ago. i was wondering if the manifold needs to come off or just the throttle body to clean the EGR ports? Any ideas about what would be best to clean the EGR ports with? Should i just take it somewhere and have someone do this or can i tackle this myself?
bigdickydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Rookie

Well, let me tell you about my symptoms and you can decide if you have the same problem or confident enough to do the work like I did.

The first symptom you'll get is a CEL (check engine light) with a "Insufficient EGR flow". Check the easy things first like the EGR valve, vacuum hoses, etc.

With the truck running, take the vacuum line off the top of the EGR valve and put a small hose on it. Put some suction on the EGR valve and see if the engine starts to sputter. If it does, your EGR valve is probably okay.

If you still think it's a plugged EGR port on the back of the throttle body.. I use a small mirror on a metal rod to look into the throat of the throttle body. You can see the port on the back of the throttle body throat. You can usually tell if its potentially plugged that way. I don't know of a way other than that to tell.

If you want to take the plunge, remove the throttle body and you'll see right away if it's plugged. I found that throttle body cleaner and wire gun bore brushes (45 cal if I remember right) did the trick.

Not complicated, just a lot of elbow grease.
interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
big member

Post EGR problem

(1998 f150 supercab 4x2 4.6L V8)

Well i think i will check the EGR valve first. The "CEL" comes on and stays on for about 1-2 days, then goes off for about 1-2 days only to come back on. The truck runs great, no rough ideling, stalling or studdring. Should the EGR ports need cleaning after getting them cleaned at the dealer only 4yrs and maybe 30,000 miles ago? Is there anything(such as an additive) that i can use to help keep the ports clean in the future?

Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Rookie

You might want to swing by an AutoZone or your local equivalent and get them to scan (free) the code when you have a CEL. It may be something totally unrelated.

As for the length of time between cleanings, it's hard to say. I've only had to do it once in it's 230K lifetime.

My ports were totally plugged and it did not affect engine performance - that is totally an emissions thing .. recirculates your exhaust gasses back into the combustion process.
interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
big member

Default egr

So if it is not affecting the emissions is it really necc. to get fixed? my emissions inspection is not due for another year and a half?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
big member

Default egr

Sorry, if it is affecting ONLY the emissions, it is really a must to fix now??
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Retired Aerospace

Default Fwiw:

My 97 4.6L CEL came on....insufficient EGR flow. Vacuum checked the EGR valve, OK. Checked EGR tube and hoses, all clean and clear. Pulled the intake goose-neck to unclog the passages and the passages were blackened, but not clogged. Ultimately replaced the DP sensor and all is now well.

The EGR ports are so dam*ed big I don't see how they could ever clog, but some do I guess.

I've been running my 94 LTC with a CEL caused by insufficient EGR flow. That car DOES have some EGR passage clogging problems, but getting at the passages is a PITA. Florida does not require vehicle inspection so I'm in no hurry to correct the problem. Fuel mileage has not changed at all, much to my surprise.
Kattumaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
SpEeDeR
5 Year Member

I got the same egr light, cleaned all my ports still had the egr light, go a new egr still had the light. turned out to be the thing below it that is supposed to detect if the egr goes bad, went bad, Replaced it was good to go. And really its not a big deal but for me i cant stand having my CEL on.

Live fast regret nothing!
Moose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
5 Year Member

Go to Advance Auto Parts an ask for an EGR Pessure sensor Ford p/n DPFE4.
The light will go out. Your gas milage will increase.
spanila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
City of Sanger Fleet Serv
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to texasedition

I replaced my EGR Pressure Regulator. I bought mine from the dealer. It was the same price and I got the updated version that none of the aftermarktet sellers use.
2001 Ford F150 Super Crew XLT 5.4 Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks, Cherry Bomb Extreme Dual Exhaust, Hella Foglights
texasedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM