Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Eco-Boost vs Diesel Turbos

Old 02-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Eco-Boost vs Diesel Turbos

In talking with people and reading forums I am hearing a lot of concerns about how long the turbos and related equipment will last on the eco-boost. Aren't almost all of the diesel trucks turbocharged which are expected to last a lot of miles. What is the difference?
Mike
Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

The difference is not necessarily the turbo itself, but the vastly stronger engine block and the lower operating RPM of diesel engines.
The following users liked this post:
Blank102 (03-09-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard5.0
The difference is not necessarily the turbo itself, but the vastly stronger engine block and the lower operating RPM of diesel engines.
the 2.7tt and the new gen 3.5 ecoboost have cgi engine blocks just like the super duty diesel.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

The difference is mostly the fanboys:
Turbos on diesel = cool.
Turbos on gas engine = ricer.

Turbos have been used forever on gas engines in Europe, 200+ hp out of a Pepsi-bottle-sized engine, and you dont see them blowing up left and right...
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The EcoBoost, being a gas engine, utterly destroys the diesel in horsepower. Gas engines always have an edge there, if for no other reason than the fact that their fuel burns faster, and they rev to higher rpm. What’s really impressive about the EcoBoost is the fact that it manages that trick while even comparing to the diesel in terms of torque output and torque curve.
Diesel fuel inherently has an edge when it comes to making torque: It contains 13 percent more energy per gallon than gasoline. So, all things being equal, a diesel will almost always make 13 percent more torque and get 13 percent better fuel economy.
That is one of the benefits of diesel: They work hard, but never feel like they are. Gas engines by nature have to rev higher, push harder, and burn hotter to extract the power they do. Diesels just do it, no complaint or questions asked.
And that’s where the EcoBoost falls down.

Turbocharged gas engines can be very efficient...when they’re off boost. But a turbo-gas engine’s fuel economy always drops like a rock when you push it hard, and the EcoBoost is no exception. Unloaded and un-stressed, it will absolutely compete with the diesel in terms of fuel economy. Which means it’s actually cheaper to run, since diesel usually runs about 10 percent more per gallon. Just cruising around town or over the highway, not pulling anything or hauling a ton in the bed, the EcoBoost’s ability to use cheaper fuel definitely pays dividends.

However, this script flips quickly when you start asking the EcoBoost to do things that a truck is supposed to do
It’s an article of canon at this point that EcoBoost fuel economy drops like a rock while towing. Because the engine has to dig deep into its boost and power band to haul the 8,500 pounds it can, don’t be surprised to see fuel economy drop below 10 mpg. Even pulling an average trailer well shy of maximum weight will yank fuel economy down to 11 or 12 mpg.
The following users liked this post:
Blank102 (03-09-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zikaprevail
The EcoBoost...

However, this script flips quickly when you start asking the EcoBoost to do things that a truck is supposed to do
It’s an article of canon at this point that EcoBoost fuel economy drops like a rock while towing. Because the engine has to dig deep into its boost and power band to haul the 8,500 pounds it can, don’t be surprised to see fuel economy drop below 10 mpg. Even pulling an average trailer well shy of maximum weight will yank fuel economy down to 11 or 12 mpg.
I just traded out an old 1996 C1500 that I tow a travel trailer with, for a 2011 EB SCREW....

I used to get 8 mpg, if only I can get 11 I would be very happy.

I can post follow up after my first trip.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

I would be curious to hear your numbers.

I to a 19 TT. Never go over 65, but run there when law allows. Get around 12 mpg. 5.4 4 wd.

I know this isn't a fuel economy discussion. But do enjoy the comparison and theory.

All I know for sure is the eco boost engines seem to be bullet proof.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eco-Boost vs Diesel Turbos