Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

dumb question about gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dumb question about gas

so i have a 2000 f150 4.2L. which ive been burning e85 in for 30,000 miles with no problems. thinking there wasnt a major differnence between that and regular i kept doing it. until recently i found out the real difference and realized im not supposed to use e85. i feel dumb. so should i make the switch to regular gas immediatly? or does it really matter? please dont make fun
Old 02-03-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 219 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm sure there will be many opinions from other members on what all to do - I would recommend to switch back immediately. Your truck should be able to handle the 10% ethanol blend with no issues, so this may be an option if you feel strongly about using ethanol. Here in MO, we don't have a choice - as of 01 January, all unleaded motor fuel is required to have the 10% blend unless the blend becomes more expensive than the straight gas product.

You also might consider changing the fuel filter at some point in the near future in the event corrosion or other crap has built up and may be subsequently broke loose by the change back to regular unleaded gasoline.

If your truck was running fine on it, don't know that there would be any engine concerns, alcohol is a rather clean burning fuel, just would have a concern on any effects to the fuel system that wasn't designed for that level of alcohol blend.

Kind of wonder since E85 is supposedly meant only for FFV-rated vehicles, why something wasn't done like with the change from leaded to unleaded gas, where the gas pump nozzle sizes were different?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E85 will make your truck run much leaner. If you arent having any detenation problems and your getting a good burn i dont see why you couldnt run it. I would also do what wde3477 mentioned and change your fuel filter out and in the swap to e85 there may be some gunk from your tank floating around because E85 and unleaded gas has a different specific gravity.

Quick Reply: dumb question about gas