Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

The dreaded "CHECK ENGINE" light

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Magma Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy The dreaded "CHECK ENGINE" light

Here we go..i HAVE A 1998 F150, 2WD 4.6L CREW CAB WITH 123,000.

Some info first--
about 4-5yrs ago i got a check engine light on my truck and it started stalling when i would come to a stop or slow down. crazy me took it to the FORD dealer and they said they cleaned out the EGR system b/c it was clogged up. Ran fine for the next 4 yrs.

Present day--
about 3 weeks ago my check engine light came on. Sooo, i filled it up with gas from a different station and the next day the light went off. Only to return about 2 days later. i repeated this process, getting gas from a different station, about 2 more times. The light goes off after about 1 day only to come back on about a day later. went by the Advance Auto, they ran a diagnostic check and it came back as "system fault the ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system"

probable cause
--blocked passage on EGR system
--failed EGR valve
--EGR solenoid faulty
--failed EGR pressure sensor
--failed EGR position sensor

Well now what? The truck runs great, NO stalling, NO rough ideling, gas mileage seems good. I'am confused. I have used 1(one) bottle of Seafoam in the gas tank which caused the light to go off, for about a day and a half, then back on. I cant remember if they replaced the EGR valve when it was worked on before.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to clean the 2 EGR ports in the throttlebody elbow again. Very common on a 4.6
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DPFE sensor my be bad. Ford p/n DPFE4. Advance Auto parts has them.

Quick Reply: The dreaded "CHECK ENGINE" light