Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:55 PM
F150 Forum

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price

This is an article on Yahoo by Consumer Reports, see the link below to read it. Keep in mind one very important detail, in the article they reference a TSB sent to customers by Kia & BMW recommending a fuel additive once in a while. The problem with that is the fuel never touches the valves so additives are a complete waste of money with direct injection.

Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price

It has been touted as the automotive holy grail, the ultimate marriage of better performance and greater fuel economy. It’s the direct-injection (DI) engine, the latest technology designed to squeeze more mpg out of cars. And it has actually been delivering results.

For example, the Mazda3’s combined fuel economy jumped from 28 mpg in 2010 to 32 mpg in 2012 in our testing of the new Skyactiv engine. Other automakers have been using direct injection to add horsepower—the Cadillac CTS, for example, gained 34 hp—without any sacrifice in fuel economy.

Though direct injection is currently seen mostly on luxury vehicles or on mainstream cars as a higher-trim option (priced anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple of thousand), it could soon be within the means of more drivers as costs continue to come down.

But those engines are also having reliability problems, something that automakers are trying to keep quiet.

Not surprisingly, a number of readers have asked us about direct injection. Take Anestis Halkidis of North Kingstown, R.I.:

“I have a 2006 VW GLI with the 2.0T FSI engine with direct injection,” he wrote. “At around 80,000 miles, I went to the VW dealer to diagnose a check-engine light. It turns out that the intake valves had to be cleaned due to carbon deposits that were causing drivability issues.”

When his dealer failed to offer free work or any compensation, Halkidis took his car to a local VW shop that cleaned the valves by blasting them with walnut shells. (Yes, walnut shells; it’s a method used by BMW.) The cost to Halkidis was about $400.

So what’s up with direct injection?

First, a primer on how it works: By injecting gas*oline at high pressure directly into the engine’s combustion chamber, direct injection more precisely measures fuel than conventional fuel-injection systems or old-time carburetors.

The result is more complete combustion and cooler cylinder temperatures that enable a higher compression ratio for greater efficiency and power. Engine technology supplier Bosch says that direct injection can return a 15 percent gain in fuel economy while boosting low-end torque as much as 50 percent.

Combining direct injection with other technologies—such as turbocharging—can deliver even greater gains in economy and performance. That in turn enables carmakers to use smaller displacement engines, resulting in an efficiency snowball effect. Many automakers are marketing DI as pro*viding fuel economy that’s almost as good as a hybrid’s, and with better performance—but without the $4,000 hybrid premium.

Although the breakthrough seems like a dream come true, an unwanted side effect has been emerging. Letter writers have complained to Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup. The result can be engine hesitation and a loss of power—and the need for expensive repairs.

Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline—without ethanol additives—and that they periodically add a fuel-system cleaner when they refuel. (A TSB is an alert that the automaker sends to dealers to warn about ongoing problems with individual models and how to fix them. It may allow dealers to make repairs at little or no cost to the customer as a goodwill gesture.)

Other automakers have devised an engineering fix that works while the car is oper*ating. It involves modifying the engine to spray a small amount of fuel directly onto the valves to help keep them clean.

It’s important to note that not all cars with direct injection experience long-term problems. But if your engine stumbles more than it used to, or it suddenly lacks power, ask your dealer about it. A fix may be available, and you may not have to pay for it.

This article also appeared in the February 2015 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers on this website. Copyright © 2006-2015 Consumers Union of U.S.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/direct-...amp;soc_trk=ma
Old 02-17-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Find me one Ecoboost where the top end was "gunked" up. Otherwise it's just a apples to oranges comparison.

Not all direct injection is created equal. Not every direct injected motor gunk's up either.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM
F150 Forum

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by snobdds
Find me one Ecoboost where the top end was "gunked" up. Otherwise it's just a apples to oranges comparison.

Not all direct injection is created equal. Not every direct injected motor gunk's up either.
I didn't write the article and never mentioned the EcoBoost so take what you want from the article and maybe write Consumer Reports.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by RX Performance
I didn't write the article and never mentioned the EcoBoost so take what you want from the article and maybe write Consumer Reports.
Funny that you would come to F150Forum where the only direct injected engines are ecoboosts and post an article like this.

Just because you didn't say it does not mean you were not implying it.

Again...since your intent was thinly veiled...find me one Ecoboost where the top end was gunked up, as you were implying through the article.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Every other automotive forum I go onto has a similar discussion, and it does seem that in many (not all) DI applications the valves are getting carboned up. It may be that Ford has changed something to make sure this does not happen in the EB, but it is obvious that many manufacturers are simply installing DI into engines designed for a more traditional injection system.

I hope it doesn't appear in the EB, but time will tell and IMO this is a "stay tuned" situation.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Guy posts one thing and the attacking begins. No one said anything about an ecoboost. I have I 5.0 and thought it was a good read. Direct injected or not I'm curious to see when the next generations of motors will be to deal with this problem from all auto companies.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Yea I don't see any reason to overreact here. I took this post as a friendly FYI to keep in mind.

Is there a recommended procedure for cleaning carbon buildup on turbocharged vehicles that will not send excessive debris into the turbines? I believe someone on here made a video warning against induction cleaning the Ecos for this reason.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 PM

There's an underlying motive here...don't be naive.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

What's the motive? I don't see any products on his site intended to address this potential issue so I have to assume that you think his motive is merely to bash on the EcoBoost?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kobayashi maru
What's the motive? I don't see any products on his site intended to address this potential issue so I have to assume that you think his motive is merely to bash on the EcoBoost?
Really? A catch can is suppose to counter act the pitfalls of DI. They sell catch cans. It's nuanced and thinly veiled, but he's trying to sell catch cans. That's why I asked to see a Ecoboost that is gunked up. Otherwise, why is he posting this on this Forum? Would it not be more beneficial to a Cadillac forum?

Look past what is right in front of you...
The following users liked this post:
130428 (02-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price