Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Dies at idle and when driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies at idle and when driving

Just joined and have searched this site but fond no answers to my problem.. So here goes. I have a 1999 F-150 4X4 with 5.4l. Started rough idle and had to restart several time to get to idle, had codes checked and found bad ignition module on number 4 I replaced that it seems to idle better BUT, while driving it just dies. Put in park and it will restart. Ser. Eng light was on for bad mod. but after replaced it went out. No light now. After replacement and driving about 2 blocks it died. Now it does it more frequently. Other than this problem have never had any problems with truck.
Thanks in advance for your help
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Camshaft position sensor...maybe? My 200 7.3L Powerstroke would do the same thing. The dealer wanted $400.00 to change it. I bought one off eBay for $80.00 and did it myself in 10 minutes.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

More likely the crankshaft position sensor. Since most ppl don't own a lab scope its hard to check. But if you are looking to throw parts at it, the crankshaft position sensor is where I would start.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Riding In The South

sounds like the same problem that i had it was IAC (idle air control vavle) and its on the back of your throttle body. two bolts hold it on mine had trouble starting and when it did it would idle real low and the rpms would go up and down it was a 14 dollar part sometimes you can take it off and clean it and it will work i tried that but ended up replacing mine there is also an electrical connector to it good luck

Quick Reply: Dies at idle and when driving