Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Cranks over 15 times to start then runs ok

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cranks over 15 times to start then runs ok

Hey guys,

Just bought a 92 F150 flairside 4x4 5L and love it but I am having an issue with starting. It will crank over 15 to 20 times before it catches and then continues to run fine. I have done a tune up consisting of plugs, wires, cap&rotor, pcv valve, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. Just wondering if yas had any ideas as to what gives. I'm kind of thinking fuel pump though when you turn the key on it pumps up to pressure right away and stops whether that means anything or not.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM
miller

I actually have the same problem. About 3 outta 5 times I start the truck it won't crank up. Its not the alternator (sp?), battery, I was thinking the fuel pump. But another thing is when its full on gas, I'll have no problem starting it. Does yours do anything like that?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM

I actually haven't filled the tank to the top because didn't want it full if I had to change the pump, but the alt. was just changed. No engine codes either.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
miller

Ahh I see. Well pop the truck bed off, and get to that fuel pump boy! I was gonna replace mine when I was gonna do my sending unit. Got pre occupied though. I need to get to it though.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Need to verify fuel pressure at rail in the am before cycling the ign. switch. FYI, the pumps runs only for a 2-3 second interval on initial turning of ign key. Once engine starts the fuel pump relay will keep pump running continuously, hence no issues after start up.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The check valve in the pump is probably letting the fuel leak down.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Bill, does the pump run until pressure is built up when you turn the key on, or is it a timed function where it runs only for a couple seconds. What I mean is, if I was to take the hose off the out side of the filter and turn the key, does the pump continue to run or does it do a 2 second cycle. If it's only a timed function I can see where tleach may have a point if there is a check valve in the pump.

Quick Reply: Cranks over 15 times to start then runs ok