Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

college project: budget 351m

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Default college project: budget 351m

the other day i aquired a 351m out of s 78 ford bronco. i paid $150 for it and it had a brand new OEM motorcraft alternator, what looked to be a fairly new water pump, and an edelbrock performer 400 manifold with a 4 barrel carb that im not sure what brand it is.

my reason for getting this motor is to use as a project in a class that im taking at the college. i thought that it would be cool to build this engine up to go in a mustang that i plan on getting someday but from what i have heard, this engine would take a lot to make it suitable for a mustang.

my question is, what can i do to this engine to make it better. i know things like higher compression ratio help butwhat can i do to attain that at a college student budget. im thinking a cam upgrade, depending on the condition of the pistons and cylinders i could bore it (ill find out tomorrow when i take the heads off). i really dont know much about this motor so please let me know of some ideas to make it either good for a muscle car, or for a 4x4 trail rig like an old f150 or early bronco. at the moment i dont plan on using it myself but reselling it after im done with it.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several things you can do to a 351M. As far as the budget goes thats for you to discern. I have now built 4 351's from the crank up and each a different way. A cam is the simplest upgrade but before you install a cam a good thing to replace a top end valvetrain to allow for a "lumpier" cam (higher lift/duaration=more power). CompCams is a favorite of mine and Eagle is a very close second. Comp sells a variety of cam and lifter kits for a reasonable price. To use a really lumpy cam you need upgraded springs, rocker arms with a 1.60" ratio or better, and high strength pushrods. (performance valves are a good idea but not necessary untill about 400hp+ I blew a valve once and it destroyed the motor completely. better safe than sorry.) Another option is to "stroke" the motor. (this essentially increases the length of travel of the piston in the chamber). Easiest way to do this is to buy a kit (most run around $1100). They use a 427 crank and different connecting rods (can't remember the length off the top of my head). Don't know what your budget runs but those are a couple of options ...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Im working on the same motor. Right now i have $1300 into it. I tore it down myself and sent it to a shop for the machining. I put a 400 crank and pistons in it. Had it bored and the heads gone through. I also bought a good torque camshaft to put in. The main thing is getting the timing where it should be. Most of these engines ran with a retarded timing chain.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 PM

just a little update on my project. i have the block and heads stripped completely down and they are in the hot tank right now. i still dot know if i will be re-using the pistons and cam. its going to need new valves. all the exhaust valves were over spec when measured for height. alst the keeper grooves were worn and had to be sanded down for me to remove the valves. im thinking that i might just do all the machine work to the heads and block and then sell them as unassembled pieces so someone can put whatever pistons and cam they want in it. how much would this engine be worth if i was to sell it unassembled with all the machine work done, magna fluxed, and powder coated block, heads, valve covers, and oil pan. my dad took the alternator for the mustang but i still have the edelbrock performer 400 manifold and carter 4barrel carb. i may rebuild the carb so that would be taken into consideration as well. would it be worth more if i bored the block and milled the heads for higher compression?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I personnally would never buy any project engine that is in pieces for the fear of why did they stop with the rebuild? That just plain scares me. Sorry!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM

yeah i guess you have a point. i just thought that it might be more desireable for someone if they could put their own valve train and pistons in it with the machine work already done
Old 09-24-2009, 02:20 PM
corey

i dont buy in pieces cause ill never firure out how to put it back together
Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Perhaps the money spent isn't lost, will the machine shop stand behind their receipt if sold to another person?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:48 PM

i dont think they will, i know the transmission part doesnt. im just going to try to reuse the pistons. i was going to bore it but i would rather spend that money on a engine i can put in a mustang someday, either a 289, or 302.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:25 AM

well, it turnes out that this engine is already bored with oversize pistons. its bored .030 over which makes it a 357c.i. im just wondering if the cam is stock or not. im sure somebody who put the time and money to bore it, intake manifold and 4bbl carb would surely upgrade the stock cam which, from what i have heard, is one of the easiest and best things to do to these motors

Quick Reply: college project: budget 351m