Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold Start

the past few mornings since its been colder than usual down here in miami (65 degrees give or take, pretty damn cold for me) ive noticed that when i try to remote start my car, it turns over, but then doesnt start...when i get in the car and crank it, it takes unusually long to try and get it to start up completely. does anybody have an idea what could be causing this? also, i got to school at like 745, and when i got out at like 10, it did it again when i remote started it, and it was sitting under the sun...any help, greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Come on! No Help For Lariat?!

That's sounds kinda strange Lariat, esp since while i'm sure 65deg is cold to you, i wouldn't think that it should cause any startup/stalling probs whatsoever. I mean, it's been in the 30's down to the teens here in Ohio (why don't you come & pay me a visit, lol?) & I haven't noticed anytype of ignition changes/probs, but of course I don't have the remote starter either. That would be my first place of investigation is to call wherever you had that installed at and give them some hard questions, cuz those things are expensive and probs like these are simply unacceptable. Remember, be polite, but be firm!

And then it sounds as tho you're having a separate (most likely integrated issue) where even attempting to start it manually turning the key that you're experiencing probs there as well. Am I understanding what you're saying...do I have this correct? I would also tag-team @ the dealership as well b/c their Service Dept. may be able to offer some sort of assistance as well. Remember, polite, but firm...this is a friggin' 30K+ vehicle; it is my belief that we should be treated like royalty by our dealerships (but that's a whole 'nother rant!).

So, I call out to all you vets & Mods out there who are alot more intelligent and well-versed than myself to give some assistance to our 06f150laiat here. I hate seeing questions being asked on this board and the person not even getting one reply (atleast we (I am including myself in this as well) should respond with something, even if it's "Hey man, I'm stumped, I really don't know" than to just leave them hangin',right?) so let's see if we can offer any assistance to our fellow F150 rider. Thanks Crew!!

Last edited by dre23; 01-18-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 AM

You guys are some funny... cold at 65...

I looked outside and checked the temp this morning. It was 8 F, or -13 C. That hasn't even started to be cold yet for our friends out on the Prairies...

Normally I plug the truck in at -18 C. So far, I haven't plugged this truck in yet. It ain't cold enough.

Luckly my command start still works at these colder temps. But that is one of the reasons that I got the command start. To warm it up in the winter and to cool it off in the summer.

As far as why your truck isn't starting? I don't know. I had an older '76 F-150, and that old girl was hard to start in any weather.

Like Dre was saying, take it to the place that installed your remote starter. What did they do to your truck? Don't **** them off either. Polite but firm. If you go in with a head full of steam, you are not likely to get any where with them. You will put their back up against the wall and they are not likely to help you.

Then folks wonder why I only let the Ford dealership fix my truck... sigh...

Mitch
Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not sure what kind of starter you have, but I know on some you can incerase the ranking time, so it turns over one more time to make sure your tuck starts.

Todays high here is around -7F, I cant wait to go try out the cold cranking amps on my new interstate, lol
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 AM

haha...when you are used to 85-90 degree weather year round, a 65-70 degree cold front is COLD...i remember back in december it went down to the 40's a couple of nights in a row and i was all decked out looking like the Michelin tire dude haha...ok, so, i may have figured out the issue, not sure though, help me out:
my friend and i installed a 10" subwoofer and amp. the amp is very small, only like 200 watts give or take, but yesterday when i had to lift up my seats to get a book, the car was off, and i noticed that the light of the amp was still on, as if its still sucking power from the battery. correct me if im wrong, but if the bass isnt bumping, and no power is being drawn from the amp, what power (other than the light) can the amp be pulling in from the battery?...funny part of all of this is that the ford dealer is right across the street from the place where i got my alarm installed. im contemplating going down there, but its a good 15 miles south, and i dont wna waste the gas (its up to about 3.19/gallon or so across the street from my work) so any more ideas/help would be appreciated...and thx Dre, Mitch, and TY....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How man miles on your truck?
How long is the cranking sequence when remote starting?
Does it start O.K. without trying by remote first.
How long does it turn over before starting after an unsuccessful remote start?

Based on the vague description you supplied it sounds like an alarm function. Some alarms have the capability of inhibiting fuel supply as well as ignition if it thinks your vehicle is being stolen. If the alarm is not deactivating via faulty circuitry, or not communicating with the remote start system it can prevent fuel supply to the engine and no start. In other words, the alarm could be staying armed when you try to remote start the truck and no fuel, no start. When you disarm the truck and get in to manually start, the alarm fuel inhibit circuit relaxes but the fuel has been cleared from your injectors/lines by the unsuccessful cranking, hence the excessive cranking time to manually start.. Or..... could be your fuel pump. The quick action of remote starting is not allowing fuel pressure to build up. Try to pinpoint the symptoms and we can more acurately diagnose your problem. HELP US HELP YOU. lol

P.S. your amp is staying on because you have the remote wire connected to a constant voltage source. Probably wont hurt anything, but, you should correct it to promote the longevity of the amp. You dont leave your T.V. on all the time do you? And it will still create heat, just not the temperatures created by the demand of BOOMBOOMBOOM. You living in Florida with your windows up, truck basking in the sun,amp tucked under the seat. See where I am going with this?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi Scot,

good points there!

I had a problem with my new truck not starting with my new command start. Turns out, it was the battery that needed to be replaced. It had a faulty cell.

I wonder if the sub might be draining enough amps off overnight that in the morning, there just isn't enough left to start the truck? Just a thought.

Mitch
Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im guessin g the led on the amp wont drain the battery overnight, I leave my cb plugged in all of the time, and there are quite a few lights on there.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch, from what I understand from his post, the truck "cranks" or "turns over" o.k., its just not lighting off. Cold temperatures usually elevate the symptoms of a bad battery, and would make sense for the battery to take the plunge in the winter months. Like your truck did. But 65 degrees, maybe cold to him, is and ideal temperature for a combustion engine to operate. If it was the battery, it would have trouble cranking.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 AM

Hi Scot

my OLD truck used to crank, but would take a very long time to catch. 10 or more seconds. Typically I would crank for a second or two, then release the key. Try a second time, and release the key. The third time was always the charm. So, total crank time, about 10 seconds. I didn't want to burn out the starter.

Also, it was like it was a hard crank.

Now, the NEW truck. Easy to crank over. Easy to start too.

When the battery in the new truck had the bad cell, it had enough power to illiminate the lights. But not enough to give that rapid clicking sound you get when there selenoid wasn't getting enough juice to crank the truck. It would click once and stop.

I got a boost and then the truck ran fine. I got it home and tried to start it again and it started up.

But it was the next morning, nothing. But the Mrs went down the driveway and got it started. So off to Ford we went. When we got there, of course it started again for them to roll it into the shop. 15 min later, they came out and told me the battery had a bad cell. It was replaced and off I went. No problems since then.

I am pretty sure that if any power source is left on, in this truck, such as headlights, or dome lights, the truck goes into a power save mode and shuts down. That way, you can never forget to leave your lights on. The truck just out thinks you.

Now, I have to wonder, if the sub has been wired to bypass this "smart" feature in the truck.

That could possibly leave enough power to crank the truck, but not enough to light it off.

Or we could be on the wrong track all together. What if it is a problem with the fuel pump? Engine cranks, but no gas, so there is no start. This would have nothing to do with his mods at all. It could be that the engine is trying to suck the gas thru the lines, instead of it being feed to the engine thru the fuel pump.

What about a cracked distributor cap. I had an old mini van, that when it was foggy out, it wouldn't start. That was until I replaced the distributor cap. So that allowed the engine to crank, but again, no start.

With our trucks being so complicated now, I just check the fluids and admire the engine.

Now, I am very sure that some of you folks don't think that the engine is complicated at all. That is the difference between myself and some of you folks that are willing to take a chance on not making any wrong turns and having your vehicle turn out worst than what it was when you first started.

Anyways, after all this talking... 06f150lariat, has your vehicle been repaired yet?

Mitch

Quick Reply: Cold Start