Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Code P1451

Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P1451

• I have a 1999 F150 4.6 4x4 extended cab. The code P1451 displays immediately after resetting. Eveything I read says this relates to the solenoid on the canister behind the fuel tank.
  • The solenoid coil checks at about 62 ohms and moves the plunger when voltage is applied.
  • Should the solenoid be receiving power whenever the engine is running?
  • What is the computer actually looking for when it throws this code?
  • Any thoughts on correcting this?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Causes

A code P1451 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

VPWR circuit open
Damaged canister vent solenoid
Canister vent solenoid circuit open or shorted to ground, power, etc.
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Possible Solutions

Verify canister vent solenoid - To verify normal functioning, monitor the EVAP canister vent solenoid signal PID EVAPCV and the signal voltage (PCM control side). With the valve open, EVAPCV indicates 0% duty cycle and a voltage approximately equal to battery voltage. When the valve is commanded fully closed, EVAPCV indicates 100% duty cycle, and a minimum voltage drop of 4 volts is normal. Output test mode may be used to switch output on/off to verify function.
Replace canister vent solenoid
Sources: MotorCraftService.com
Old 10-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dragging this thread into the light again, but this may help someone with this PITA code. After much searching and cursing i solved this dtc on my 99 4.2 v6. The problem is electrical and is more than likely caused by a broken wire that runs to the vent solenoid on the charcoal canister at the back of the truck. I traced my lack of voltage into the engine compartment, right below the air filter housing. There are three harness connectors secured to the body of the truck that run into the wire harness that services the rear of the truck. These wires are laying on a bracket that had worn through the harness and cut the red wire that powers the vent solenoid on my truck. I rejoined the wire with a crimp connector and problem solved. Perhaps this might help someone else with this same dtc and save a few headaches.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:09 PM

Default Hick Fix

I have an '02 f150 4.2L. Used to give the p1451 "Evap vent solenoid" code. Testing proved the solenoid was bad. I ran a jumper wire between the two sides of the plug and no more code!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code P1451