Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Cleaning The Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning The Engine?

What does everyone out there use to clean there engines and get them shiny looking. I use armorall but Have been told that High Gloss Tire Shines work good as well,,How about stuff like Power Spray?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

I use whitewall cleaner to clean the engine - seems to do a better job than the engine degreasers available.

Not into the showy shiny look - even on tires - just want things looking clean without residues. But all personal preferences aside - don't know why ArmorAll, TireBlack, or any other product wouldn't work fine for a short term look.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Ford Fan

I use the carwash cleaner or engine bright. To shine it i use a low shine armor all.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM

so what do you do just manually wipe everything clean or cover up the electronics and spray with water and cleaner..how exactly do you clean an engine
Old 02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Just some dude

I go straight to my loocal tractor dealership,(i'm in montana) and have the engine tech steam all my crud off. follow up with a high temp clearcoat on anything that will take it!!! usually costs me a twenty.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM

i just go to the carwash and pressurewash with the soap cycle then rinse off. no wax or anything.but if you got alot of oil/grease/road grime you can buy the no heat easy off oven cleaner.trust me it works and costs less then the stuff you buy at the parts store.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wde3477
I use whitewall cleaner to clean the engine - seems to do a better job than the engine degreasers available.

Not into the showy shiny look - even on tires - just want things looking clean without residues. But all personal preferences aside - don't know why ArmorAll, TireBlack, or any other product wouldn't work fine for a short term look.
I'm with you on the shiny tire thing, tires aren't meant to be shiny. They don't look shiny when you buy them new from the dealer, right? I have also seen a tire-shine product that has colors to match your vehicle. I think it is like metallic flakes in the tire-shine that gives it the color.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM

I've always used Simple Green, I mix it a little stronger that what it recommends. Spray it on and let it set for a few minutes but not to long you don't won't it to dry on there, then I just hose it off with a garden hose.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 PM

I have used Hondabrite (S100). It works pretty good just be sure to rinse very well.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:14 AM
MSchneid

Careful with the coil packs. If you hit these with a hard stream of water they will break. I just bought my '05 and the dealer had to replace one (around $80) because they cleaned the engine with a high pressure washer.They warned me ahead of time, just passing this bit of info along.

Quick Reply: Cleaning The Engine?