Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Change Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Fuel Pump

2002 F150 Scab. 4.6, 6ft bed. 118,000 miles. I have a fuel pump going bead. bad check valve. Had a couple of cranks and no start. After priming pump it would start. The pressure are 0 after sitting overnight. Slowly pressurizes to 28 pounds at idle. Pressure increases to 45 psi with pressure regulator vacuum removed. When engine off and key on pressure drops to zero within 15-30 seconds. I believe I have a bad check valve. The problem I would like to change the pump myself. I will do this alone. I want to tilt the bed of the truck. I only have access to a floor jack and 2x4. Is that enough to tilt the bed up near the cab and change the pump?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
John
Old 09-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed the fuel pump and filter today. Removed the three screws in the filler door. I removed the bed bolts and lifted each side and placed a 2x4 under the rail on each side. Removed the rear bumper, after disconnecting the tail-lights and slide the bed towards the rear. Probably 1-2 feet towards the rear and the fuel pump was exposed. Much easier. Had to grind two bed bolts that were frozen and replaced the fuel pump and filter in 2 1/2 hours.

Quick Reply: Change Fuel Pump