Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

catch can alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default catch can alternative?

I'm sure that this post will anger the catch can gods but here it is anyways.
I am in no way interested in using a catch can at this time but as i was rooting through a local parts store i came across a neat air/water separator for an air compressor. I'm sure the catch can salesman will say that they have spent years and millions developing their state of the art catch cans and that's why they sell them at a premium but at the end of the day wouldn't one of these separators do the same job and at a fraction of the price? I might be wrong here but i thought this was interesting. Maybe this has been posted before but i haven't found it.

catch can alternative?-forumrunner_20141210_184229.jpg
Old 12-10-2014, 10:08 PM

catch can alternative?-8502098.jpg
Old 12-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

google it, there are tons of diy catch cans/oil separators all made from air compressor water separators, i am in the process of gathering the parts for mine also.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TheBathTub
google it, there are tons of diy catch cans/oil separators all made from air compressor water separators, i am in the process of gathering the parts for mine also.
I'd love to hear how it works for you. I see that lots of guys with little sports cars have made their own.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

The main difference between the two is the volume capacity. The newer catch cans are experimenting with different media in the can to coalesce the vapors into liquid. It's the same concept, just different ways to go about it. Another thing the catch can people are finding out is the more remote the catch is, the better the results. It's nothing top secret, but I can imagine that this thread might turn in to a flame war from people who bought the cans, people that don't believe in the cans, and people berrated for asking simple questions. Just how a forum works.

Quick Reply: catch can alternative?