Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Cam or not??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam or not??

Should I get a cam for my truck or not?? I've been thinking about doing it because I love the way the loping sounds but would it really be worth the money or should I not do it at all??

TIA for all the help!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have asked that same question and for the most part i have been told that on todays vehicles you get more hp and dependabliity using a tuner. I agree with you that I like that sound of a cam myself.. but cams for these newer vehicles are expensive also. 4.6 liter comp cam was around the 600 dollar range. But Just depends on what you want to do. If no warranty is involved and if I had the money id probaly go with a cam.
Curious as to see what kind of info others can put in on this..so many variables such as are you going to use a better exhaust, different intake, headers, high stall verter, etc..
Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks Karl!!! I'm looking into getting a tuner now and possibly an AF1 intake with this stimulus money that we're getting. My warrantee is up in 7,000 miles so I won't have to worry about voiding the warranty by touching the engine.

The main reason I'm wanting a cam is because of the sound that the give the exhaust. I'm hoping I can get the pros and cons of adding a cam.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:51 PM
mmmm.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like you said, it does make the cool "looping sound". lol, but if thats the only reason you want a cam, you should not get one. cams, of course, do add more power, but you should also consider upgrading internals as well. im not sure on newer trucks, but i remember on the older trucks that ive put cams on, we HIGHLY recommend putting in new, stronger internals, but then again, those where high lift/duration cams in high hp motors. and to really feel the FULL effects, youd have to get more airflow in, more fuel in, and better flow out, but once again, thats not really necessary unless your going big.

to summarize everything, its not worth it. to get the high looping sound, youd have to go big, and you cant change one thing dramatically w/o it affecting another part. i'd say go with a tuner, CAI, and new exhaust if you wanted more power.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 PM

I agree on some of what you said Tonka but as for cars you don't HAVE to go high hp to get the loping sound. There's a TA here in Jax that only has a K&N intake and Flowmaster exhaust and he just installed a sick cam and it sounds good with no engine mods. He is going to be pulling the engine here soon to add better internals.

Back to the trucks though.....I'm not interested in getting 500 hp from my truck but I'd like it to sound better at idle but if it involves rebuilding the engine and spending several thousand dollars just for a cam to sound good then nevermind. I'll stick with an intake and a tune(r).

Thanks Tonka!!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
mmmm.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, now there TA's are an exception to this rule. lol. ive some NASTY TA's with nothing other than intake, cam, heads, and exhaust pushing 450+ easy. but like i said, im not sure about the newer trucks, but i'd start out with an intake and good tune and see where you'd like to go from there. if your trying to get your times down at the track, new tires and maybe a new suspension setup might be for you.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

camS!. Comp makes a set for the 3V motors, but you need valvesprings, a retune, and new gaskets for the timing and cam covers.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was told that the heads on the 4.6 were good for about 300 hp.. you guys know if this is true or not?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Thanks y'all.

Obusnizzle the Comp cams package that I've seen and researched all come with the cam along with the valesprings and I'm planning on tuning when I get the AF1 intake and I'm not sure but I think they all come with gaskets right?? If this is way up there in price I'll prolly back down from it. I'm wanting to get the AF1 intake and the custom tunes sometime around mid-June so I'll see what kind of numbers I'm hitting after that and if I'm not satisfied then I'll look into more mods.

Thanks again for all the help and more is always appreciated!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:36 PM

UPDATE: I just went on Compcams' website and they have a link to all the info about the Ford 4.6 and 5.4 3v v8's on the homepage if y'all want to check it out. I was just reading about it and from what I understand it to be their new cams are a NSR ((no springs required)). The way they talk on the CompCams website is that these cams for the 4.6 and the 5.4 3v V8's were made to retain all the stock springs.

UPDATE: Ok I read it again and I see what they're talking about now. They have 2 different types of cam kits. They have one where it you don't have to change out the stock springs AND they have a cam kit where it does require you to change out the stock springs. They're priced at $742. I thought they were around $600 and not $750. I'm gonna go with a tuner and AF1 intake for now and see where I'm at and if I still want to do it.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by Triton v8; 05-24-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam or not??