Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Blown Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Spark Plug

Hey everyone,
I know this is a bit off topic, as I'm asking about an Expedition and not an F150, my brother recommended this site as a good place to find knowledgeable people.

So here's the story. . . Today my father blew out a spark plug on his 1999 Expedition 5.4L. I told him that the best case scenario is a $400-$500 thread repair, but I didn't know who to send him to.

Does anyone around here know of a good, trustworthy mechanic in New York City (preferably Brooklyn) who is equipped to the job?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know any shops or dealers in your area, of course, but I would consider taking this job to a ford dealer. The thing I have found with the better dealers is they are committed to do a good job with their repair work because they want to sell you a car, or truck later on down the road and the good dealerships know good service is one of the prime ways of keeping a customer. While I don't normally take repair work to dealers. or repair shops there are some things I don't do for various reasons mostly having to do with tooling. Putting repair inserts for stripped aluminum spark plug hole is one of those job I would leave to a professional. I have done a bunch of these repairs on old air cooled VW's but there is a big difference between replacing a head for a VW and one for a V8 engine if you (pardon the pun) screw up.

Last edited by transmaster; 01-03-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you maybe able to put a heli-coil in it too not sure what kinda place it is to work at..
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that is have educated myself on this problem going to a Ford dealership is not the way to go their service SOP for this problem is to replace the whole head, and the rate for it is somewhere between 3 and 4,000 dollars which is absolutly outragous.

Quick Reply: Blown Spark Plug