Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

belt slip

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default belt slip

hey guys, loaded a new tune into the truck, and when it shifts hard under moderate to heavy acceleration i get a nice chirp of belt....what belts are you s/c guys using to relieve this....was thinking of using that goup that they have at autozone but figured id ask here first
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Must be one heck of a tune!

Not a big fan of the various belt dressings. My experience is that while they do work, frequent re-applications are required, the liquid / spray-on stuff gets slung everywhere, and the solid bar stuff is a bite in the shorts to apply.

Suggest to consider a new belt, and perhaps to inspect the respective pulleys for any contaminants or residues, especially the pulleys that are driven off the back side of the belt.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On the Horsepower TV, they often mention changing out the belt tensioner.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do not use belt dressing... It only slips on hard shift don't worry about it. If I am not mistaken the SC belts are 7 or 8 rib as opposed to 6 rib on the regular truck.. Again I could be wrong.. I can't remember.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Paint it black

im sorry for any confusion, i am a 4.6 natural truck, s/c would be awesome but we got the shaft there, lol, anyways i am pretty sure i have the 6 and i think i may get a gator belt if it gets worse, its pretty impressive tho, the truck sounds a little like a sc and then has the chirp...makes me happy i got my sct tuner
Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have something more going on, like an accessory offering up resistance. I have never heard of an instant belt chirp from that little of a hp gain. If its really bothers you ,pull the belt off and turn what accessories you can by hand. Alternators are likely culprite. Their bearings go bad and cause resistance. Does this by chance do it more often with the A/C on.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
I think you have something more going on, like an accessory offering up resistance. I have never heard of an instant belt chirp from that little of a hp gain. If its really bothers you ,pull the belt off and turn what accessories you can by hand. Alternators are likely culprite. Their bearings go bad and cause resistance. Does this by chance do it more often with the A/C on.
It is normall for a truck with a tuner to hear the blet slip on shifts. Minr does it.. My friends does it. The transmission is shifting so fast the accs cant drop the RPM as fast as the engine drops on the shift.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright then, but that would drive me bonkers.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Paint it black

its not that bad....i ended up turning the truck back to stock because i have a tb issue, called the dealer and they said its not a warenteed item so i took it upon myself to attempt to fix it....no luck yet....idk how electric tb's work but i hope to figure it out...
Old 01-20-2008, 02:44 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

on a side note, what are those numbers beside the sct? are those you're hp and torque numbers?

Quick Reply: belt slip