Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Beginner Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Beginner Mods...

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times, but i want to start modding my truck a little bit. It's a 03 f-150 supercrew 5.4L Lariat. Im just looking to get a little more power and "get up" out of it. I have around 400-500 bucks to spend and was thinking an intake and exhaust. Anyone recommend the best two of these for that price? I appreciate it.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would recommend a tune/intake, the tune is where you get most of the power
Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ What he said, plus your probably close depending on how much you spend on an intake, you could swap out your stock muffler with a flowmaster or magnaflow and keep existing pipes temporarily...
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks! Any advice on what intake and what tuner to get? A good place to purchase them?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that's the big three for gas engines. Intake, Exhaust, and Tuner/Programmer. Can't go wrong with any but I think the programmer is the best bang for the buck if you have to go in steps. I went exhaust first and then intake. Didn't feel that much until I installed the Edge Evo. Now I need to pull the trigger on a custom tune to go along with the other mods.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdjam
I guess that's the big three for gas engines. Intake, Exhaust, and Tuner/Programmer. Can't go wrong with any but I think the programmer is the best bang for the buck if you have to go in steps. I went exhaust first and then intake. Didn't feel that much until I installed the Edge Evo. Now I need to pull the trigger on a custom tune to go along with the other mods.

would you recommend the edge evo for me? Where is a good place to buy it from? Is it better then a bullydog? Also is it a "plug and play" that I can install? Thanks and sorry for all the questions but IDK much about modding trucks, only atvs
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if u want power go tuner. i like the edge and id recommend it to any1. it is plug and play. takes like twenty minutes to set up. most ppl on this forum have it but some people have the sct livewire with custom tunes and i think thats a lil more expensive. to me in my truck tho i went exhaust as my very first thing. simply the best mod imo
Old 12-18-2009, 06:14 AM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

A tuner would be a good start. Edge Evo or you can get the Gryphon from Powerhungryperformance. It's a rebadged Edge that can download custom tunes if you ever want to do that in the future.

You'll feel a big difference with a tuner for sure. Check your local area on Craigslist. Sometimes you can find a used Edge Evo for pretty cheap. Make sure they set their truck back to stock and your good to go. But if you end up buying a new tuner, I'd suggest getting the Gryphon. Same price as the Edge, but later on down the road when you do CAI and Exhaust you can get custom tunes and get the most out of your truck.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, you could probably find a muffler on Ebay pretty cheap and have a exhaust shop weld it on pretty cheap. It'd cost under $100 most likely and then you could do the Gotts mod on your stock intake for REAL cheap. Then when you have more money get a real CAI. Some people say the Gotts mod is just as good as a real CAI. It'd be worth looking into.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZFX4
Also, you could probably find a muffler on Ebay pretty cheap and have a exhaust shop weld it on pretty cheap. It'd cost under $100 most likely and then you could do the Gotts mod on your stock intake for REAL cheap. Then when you have more money get a real CAI. Some people say the Gotts mod is just as good as a real CAI. It'd be worth looking into.

Thanks, I will be purchasing the Gryphon. I will let you know how it is. Hopefully in about a month or two I will be purchasing a CAI and exhaust. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Beginner Mods...