Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Any help for an explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Any help for an explorer?

I went to install the trans in my friends 04 explorer that we just had rebuilt. When the converter is fully seated the ribs in the converter rub the inside of the bell housing. It is fairly significant too. I have done a good deal of transmissions and never had one do this. Now I know the converter often pulls just slightly forward when you bolt it to the flex plate. But I didn't want to spend all the time get 2 or 3 bolts in the housing and the converter bolts to find out it wasn't right. Has anyone experienced this when doing a trans in an explorer?

It is a V6, 4 wd, and it is the sealed trans that has to filled through the drain plug. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My transmission guy called me this morning and turns out this common on the rangers and explorers. So for future reference don't be surprised if it is rubbing the bell housing. As I assumed it will pull out a little bit when bolted to the flex plate. As we all know assuming isn't the best idea especially when it involves hundreds of dollars and hours of labor!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to know .

Quick Reply: Any help for an explorer?