Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

anti freeze in the intake port of head

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti freeze in the intake port of head

I have a 97 f150- 4.2L eng.
I have 120,000 miles on it.
I went to start the eng the other day and it was locked up. After bumping the starter a few times I'm assuming the valves opened and pushed antifreeze out of the #2 passenger side cylinder. followed by lots of white smoke out the tail pipe. I have 120,000 miles on it and had to replace the intake manifold gaskets twice. I used ford gaskets-updated ones. I assumed it was the same thing this time but when I pulled the intake off it appears the gasket is in tact. Problem is I still have gunk in the intake ports of the #2 cylinder on the passenger side. I was thinking it maybe a head gasket but if that was leaking wouldn't I have an overheating issue or bubbles in the antifreeze tank. The truck was running just as cool as when I first bought it and no bubbles were apparent in the tank.
I doubt this has anything to do with it but the catyletic converter is out on the same side.

Please help, I'm desperate to get this thing running again, I'm not sure where to look next
Old 06-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by tommyb
I have a 97 f150- 4.2L eng.
I have 120,000 miles on it.
I went to start the eng the other day and it was locked up. After bumping the starter a few times I'm assuming the valves opened and pushed antifreeze out of the #2 passenger side cylinder. followed by lots of white smoke out the tail pipe. I have 120,000 miles on it and had to replace the intake manifold gaskets twice. I used ford gaskets-updated ones. I assumed it was the same thing this time but when I pulled the intake off it appears the gasket is in tact. Problem is I still have gunk in the intake ports of the #2 cylinder on the passenger side. I was thinking it maybe a head gasket but if that was leaking wouldn't I have an overheating issue or bubbles in the antifreeze tank. The truck was running just as cool as when I first bought it and no bubbles were apparent in the tank.
I doubt this has anything to do with it but the catyletic converter is out on the same side.

Please help, I'm desperate to get this thing running again, I'm not sure where to look next

you might have a small leak and if thats the cause it wouldnt overheat it inless it is on long distance trips and it would slowly get antifreeze and oil mix for the bubbles so they wouldnt be apparent.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM

sounds like a head gasket
Old 06-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

X2. My 01 had a similar issue around 160k before I traded it off. I would think head gasket as well.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Thanks for your input

I'm going to pull the head. I've never pulled an aluminum head before. Is it standard practice to have the head machined or can I get away with just swapping the head gasket?

Quick Reply: anti freeze in the intake port of head