Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Another thread on gutting the cats.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another thread on gutting the cats.

Hey guys I've notice a slight lose of power in my truck and it's a 5.4 I got to thinking if my cats were clogged so I took the truck out for a ride on night and drove it alittle hard and when I got home and cut the truck off the first smaller cat closest to the exhaust manifold on the drivers side had a red glow to it. So I don't want to spend the money on new cats for both sides so I was just going to gut the smaller cats. Now I heard you can gut it by taking a 3/4 auger but and drill the stuff inside of it out and suck all the stuff out with a shop vac. Just want some more info before I do anything. Thanks in advance, Clay.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dd you ever do it? I'm thinking of doing the same. My drivers side pre cat is dead. Just don't forget to add the MIL eliminators two the downstream O2 sensors or you will throw a code.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Why don't you just cut them off and replace them with pipe. You don't need all 4 for a visual inspection and when you do gut them, it disrupts the flow since they're hollow. Just saw them off, sell them to a salvage yard and replace them with pipe. Problem solved, you still have two and it won't throw any codes or anything as long as it's just the back two.

Quick Reply: Another thread on gutting the cats.