Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Amsoil or Royal Purple??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil or Royal Purple??

Hi guy, First off great site!!I've got an 06 f150 5.4L just tryimg to decide what type of oil to run.Everyone i talk to seems to love royal purple so i figured i'd go that route.Then i found an article that says amsoil actually out performs royal purple??? any info would be appreciated just want to make an informed decision!! thanks.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both will do well in your engine, the Amsoil is designed to run for a year (or up to 25,000 miles) at a time and Royal Purple is not. The only issues are; could you go a year without changing your oil, and two-would you want to fight the dealer if anything goes wrong?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Just go with a good full synthetic oil. I use castror full synthetic and change @ 5000mi and my motor is happy
Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 PM

i like ams oil and royal purple but for engine oil i use a full synthetic Quaker state or Castro. you can put the other formulas in your gas and as additives to your oil, in your diffs, tranny, or what ever. if you do do that you should also look at lucas i use their stuff all the time in deasel and gas and have seen marked improvements in the equipment,but thats not really what you asked about.

so back on topic i vote the full senthetic from a regular brand save a little money. one other thing if you are looking for better performance you can ajust the waight of the oil to the weather you are driving in like i put lighter stuff in in the winter and in the summer i put heaver stuff in but i live in texas when it changes, so once again its up to you and what you are trying to acomplish.

good luck
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most regular brand synthetics are only synthetics here in the state, other countries do not allow petroleum based oils to be labeled synthetic. Has Amsoil really been tested and have the API certification or are they still saying that the certification is a waste of time and money. Royal Purple is supposed to last 12k with only regular filter changes, Amsoil is 4 to 5 k unless you purchase their bypass filter kits.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM

perhaps i should clarify when i say synthetics i mean 100% the high mileage/horse power/RPM (however they label it) stuff even if its not "co sure" else where it works fine.

as for amsoil it works so except for warranty issues it is still fine your in an 06 so my guess is that the warrenty is over and done with unless you bought it at a dealer used
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchalvin
Most regular brand synthetics are only synthetics here in the state, other countries do not allow petroleum based oils to be labeled synthetic. Has Amsoil really been tested and have the API certification or are they still saying that the certification is a waste of time and money. Royal Purple is supposed to last 12k with only regular filter changes, Amsoil is 4 to 5 k unless you purchase their bypass filter kits.
Ok that is not true, Amsoil is good for a lot longer than 4 to 5k without a bypass filter. Im not a salesman, but please check your facts before you say things like that. They claim up to 35k on some oils, and have a warranty to back it up if there is an oil related failure during that time.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the bypass filter Amsoil does not recommend extending the oil change interval. I got this from a couple of salesmen and from the website. The warranty is if the factory voids the warranty for not using approved motor oil they will pay for damages if it is proven that the oil had failed.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchalvin
Without the bypass filter Amsoil does not recommend extending the oil change interval. I got this from a couple of salesmen and from the website. The warranty is if the factory voids the warranty for not using approved motor oil they will pay for damages if it is proven that the oil had failed.
.... And at that point, you would have two fights on your hands. One at the dealer for their warranty, the other thru Amsoil proving that the oil was the culpreit. I'm sure that they will not "just take the dealership's word for it".

Why risk this hassle (if you're still under warranty)?? Just save a few bucks and a massive headache and go with Mobil1 or Castrol, etc.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 PM

MObile 1. My buddy builds Helicopters and they are always sending different oils out for testing. Mobile 1 has come back with the best results for years now. And I agree with the other fellas, who wants to argue with a dealer or oil company at who's to blame. And do you really want to trust running any oil for 25000 miles?

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Royal Purple??