Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

97' 4.6 won't start/Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97' 4.6 won't start/Electrical problems

Hello all. I've got a 97' F-150 4.6 litre w/ problems... About two months ago, it would randomly blow the fuse in position #13 inside the cab (rear brakes) and the ABS light on the instrument panel would flash. I took it to a very reputible shop, but they could not find the problem. It has since stopped blowing the fuse. Now, the right turn signal makes a fast clicking noise when you use it but it's not making the turn signal come on. Sometimes you can turn it off and on again and it will function normally.

Yesterday, I took it on a short trip and it ran great. I recently replaced the motor about 2 years ago. I went back out to return home and it wouldn't start. I can't find any blown fuses and it has a full charge. Any idea's on where I should start fist to troubleshoot before taking it to a shop? I have a feeling the two are connected somehow.

Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't have a clue on the ABS lite. As far as the turn signals go try this, turn on the 4-way emergency flashers and check for which which lites work or don't work. Repair as necessary. No start problem? Need more input from you. Does the engine crank with the starter? Let us know!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
KAH

Default # 13 Fuse

According to my book, Fuse Panel Box fuse # 13 protests the following:

Rear Anti Lock Brake System ( RABS ) Module.

Brake On / Off ( BOO ) switch

Brake pressure switch.

I would suggest checking all the light bulbs involved and the wiring for a
pinched wire somewhere before I spend big bucks on this problem.

Hope this helps,
Ken H.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Ok, I found part of the problem. My son installed 20" Liquid Metal rims and tires about 6-7 months ago. On both sides in the front, the tires have rubbed through several wires on wiring harnesses. I patched everything up and the lights are working now.

The engine turns over fine. The ignition, starter and altenator are all fine. The problem I have now is I'm not getting any power to the fuel pump or the spark plugs. All guages, lights, etc in the cab are working fine.

P.S.- I'm an idiot. I have a 4.2L, NOT a 4.6L. This is my kids truck. I get the two mixed up all of the time...

Last edited by wcart006; 04-08-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 97' 4.6 won't start/Electrical problems