Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

97-03 5.4l engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
big dog status

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97-03 5.4l engine

i just bought a used 5.4l to swap with my 4.6l and im gunna build it up pretty stout and was wondering if anybody had any engine combo's (stroker kit, cams, heads, intake and what not) that would put me up near 500 hp without nos or a supercharger
Old 11-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to know the same thing... I bought a 5.4 with a spun bearing for my 2000 Superduty and im gonna rebuild it but want to give it a pretty stout buid with more torque and hp since the 5.4 in a superduty was a total fail.... But its paid for so i'm gonna keep it.

Ive done alot of research on this but its hard to find any real write ups on this type of thing. I do know that the stroke on the 5.4 is long enough and there is no need to stroke it more. Internally i guess just forged stuff and a .20 to .30 over bore..... The heads are so confusing to me, PI heads are 99 and up which are fairly decent but bigger cams would be better with maybe a light porting to the stock heads.

Top end is pretty easy I guess..... They do make intakes for the 5.4 but way too expensive IMO. They have adapter plates to be able to fit 4.6 2V Intakes from the Mustangs on it which should be fairly easy to find plus used ones are more readily available. Then bigger throttle body, Injectors, mass air, etc.......

Id like to find out exactly what cams would be a good choice. I find used ones for mustangs all the time but not sure which ones are good for a truck by means of more torque rather than hp. (If that even makes sense)

Bottom line is my trucks lifted on 37s with 22" rims and it doesnt get out of its own way and I need to build a stout 5.4...

Not sure why this thread wasnt replied to already but hopefully it does now.... There has to be someone out there that has done this... I want a mean *** N/A 5.4!!!!

Quick Reply: 97-03 5.4l engine