Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

'87 F150 Sputtering and Knocking (low RPM's) and with load!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 F150 Sputtering and Knocking (low RPM's) and with load!!

Hello,

I just purchased an '87 F150 (302). It has 180K (rebuilt around 100K) on the engine.

The problem is when the auto tranny is lugging in a higher gear (low rpms), the truck hesitates and sputters...until I give it more gas and it downshifts... at higher RPMS it is fine and dandy. It isn't too noticable when NOT towing something, but you can still feel it. The previous owner had both fuel pumps replaced and I have ran premium gas through one tank (thinking it was bad gas).

Now, when towing my boat and trailer, it knocks and sputters quite a bit if lugging in a higher gear (almost to a point where you feel that the truck is running out of gas!). I have been using first gear going up hills and taking overdrive off when not on the freeway to help with this problem (it helps a little).

Anyway, what is going on with my truck? I was thinking (and hoping) that it had something to do with the dizzy?! Fuel injectors?

What do you think?? Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old 05-28-2007, 07:37 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the fuel filter for free flow. Check the wires, plugs and cap and rotor. Look for a vacuumn leak. Check the basics.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 PM

EGR valve would be my guess, but I would check the basics like the previous person said.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Armstrong
EGR valve would be my guess, but I would check the basics like the previous person said.
Well, I replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, and distributor cap (rotor looks fine). It made it start easier and idle a little smoother... but did not change the missing/chugging/sputtering at low rpms...

I don't think its the EGR (since it just passed smog a few months ago - here in California that's a feat in itself).

I'm thinking it still might be an air leak since the plugs were a little whiter than usual (too much air = lean).

Sprayed carb cleaner on all (I think) vacuum lines and nothing happened.

Does anyone know what's goin on? MAP? Ignition module (on the side of dizzy) ?????

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

I didn't see you mention that you replaced the fuel filter. Just the air filter. Plugged fuel filter = lean plugs.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by NGM
I didn't see you mention that you replaced the fuel filter. Just the air filter. Plugged fuel filter = lean plugs.
Thanks...I'll check that... but I know the previous owner had both fuel pumps replaced a few months ago... i would think that they replaced the fuel filter as well... but you never know about some mechanics....

Paul
Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Well guess what.... my alternator completly died today So, got a new one and plan on putting it on tomorrow morning. The guy at the store said that a bad alternator might be part of the problem of the missing/chugging, etc. We'll see.....

Paul
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by metalvolks
Well guess what.... my alternator completly died today So, got a new one and plan on putting it on tomorrow morning. The guy at the store said that a bad alternator might be part of the problem of the missing/chugging, etc. We'll see.....

Paul
This is true. It does take voltage to fire the plugs.. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:28 PM

Default F150 problem

Are the cats plugged? I would check them as well.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Sputtering Ford 4.2

I have a Ford F150 with a 4.2. I had bad coil problems. On 4th one now. One was covered under warranty when the truck was new and I put in 2 myself. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: '87 F150 Sputtering and Knocking (low RPM's) and with load!!