Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

86 i6 new ticking near valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
road condition view port

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 i6 new ticking near valve cover

I was coming back from a trip of about 10 miles this morning when I get off the highway and the engine is ticking REALLY loudly. The truck didn't seem to rev any differently and still has power, so I drove it home and checked under the hood before i went back to work. There is a loud ticking that's coming from the rear of the valve cover and increases speed with RPMs.

Now I've read a lot of posts that indicate that it could be a leak from the exhaust manifold. But my truck was already warm when I first heard it, and when I left my meeting it didn't have the sound. I'll investigate further, but if anyone has an idea of what i might be looking at i'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Perhaps a lifter went flat and took some time to pump up. Dirt and crap could have kept oil from inflating it.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 AM
road condition view port

Default oil is the answer

Bill,
I think you're right about the lifter. I checked the dip stick and there was just an eighth of an inch on the end getting oil. My oil gauge was reading in the low to mid of the range. SO i added a gallon and the sound went right away.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM

my 85 did the same thing and it was a bent pushrod. i still aint figured out why it keeps bending that same pushrod

Quick Reply: 86 i6 new ticking near valve cover