Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4ltr missfire was an injector not a coil

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post 5.4ltr missfire was an injector not a coil

I had a bad missfire after returning from a long trip and thought it was bad gas but it wasnt so after about $50 bucks of injector and fuel cleaners i borrowed a code reader it said missfire on 5 and 8 so i baught the spark plugs (special only from ford) and changed them on that bank that didnt work so i baught the coils changed them on that bank it seamed a little better but i gave up and went to my dealer, 1 week later i got my truck back with a $1200 bill and they said they couldnt fix it might be cam phasers about another $4200 dollars i didnt have and for the $1200 they broke 2 plugs taking them out then i had to pay for fords special tool and 2.5 hour proceedure to take them out. I was really frustrated so went home got on the net and found this a common problem and that ford rarely has problems with coil or plugs but enough problems that there is a recall and service bulliten on the problem this all happened at 118,000 kms. I went back to my dealer with the service bulliten droped it on his desk and only then did he find it on the computer 2 hours latter and $142 to find and change the injector now it runs great but it went running rough so long it ruined my cat and ford wants $980 just for the part.They wont help on the first bill (that hurts) but im still FORD blue. So get on your forums you will find like people with simular problems and they can save you a lot of frustration and money.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take your truck to a dealer that has a clue. The cats are still under factory warranty. Any tech that doesn't know the difference between a cam phaser bad and a bad injector is a moron and you should never let anybody that dumb work on your truck. You also didn't say the year model of your engine but the 2005 and 2006 5.4 are warranted for 100,000 miles concerning the injectors. I'll let you convert that to kilometers but yer not there yet. You might have to get the Ford factory rep involved in this or just forget about your money.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yep need to send Ford Rep a letter

works out to about 73,000 miles but the truck warranty says 100,000 kms,
And the injector definitely killed the cat.
Ill let you know how it goes Trapper in south Texas

Ccawoody

Quick Reply: 5.4ltr missfire was an injector not a coil