Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4L Engine whine... missing Idler Pully

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4L Engine whine... missing Idler Pully

First thing I decided to replace in hoping to solve my trucks (2003 F150 Heritage 5.4L) engine whine that has been nagging me for the past month is the Idler Pulley. I picked up a new Pulley from a parts store for $42.50, got home removed the old pully and found out that it was fine. Went to check the pulley on the right side and it wasn't even there! So now instead of returning the pulley I bought I'm going to put it where the other one is missing
But now I need to find a new bolt for the new Idler Pulley as it didn't come with one. I'm either going to snag one from a wrecker or try to find one at a parts store. Can I just use any bolt here? Or should it be the correct bolt? Can a parts store match up the bolt if I bring it in? ALSO... do you think it has caused any damage driving with only one Idler Pulley? I doubt this is the cause of the engine whine... but I'll replace the missing pulley and see if the whining stops before going to buy a new Drive Belt Tensioner.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine never had one..... Alternator, Power Steering or AC compressor. Have you bleed the PS system? Start engine turn wheels all the way to the left but do not hold them against the stopper. Turn the wheels all the way to the right but do not hold them against the stopper. Repeat this 4 or 5 times. Monitor the PS fluid level.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try checking the PS level... but I don't think it's that because it's more of a constant whine... more so when the engine is cold. I'm betting on the Belt Tensioner bearings beaing shot. I've had other people tell me that maybe the location for the second Idler Pulley is for if the vehicle ever has to enter into a state that has different emmision laws (California). So I guess I'll go return the Idler Pulley and then buy a Belt Tensioner Assembly.

Quick Reply: 5.4L Engine whine... missing Idler Pully