Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4 Computer Repogram

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 Computer Repogram

I know I fired off another thread about lifters earlier. I am just wondering if anyone has tried performing a computer reflash (if one exist) to attempt to resolve the infamous dieseling sounds. Yes - I know that this is a mechanical sound from the phaser, but obviously it is also controlled by the computer. Cold engine startup's sound great and only start chattering after engine oil gets to a certain temperature and the computer starts flowing oil to the phasers.

I would think that a band-aid fix by ford could be to lock the phasers at idle no matter what temperature the oil reads and only allow adjustments to the cams once up at the 1500 + rpm.

The only reason why I ask is that I spoke to a dealership a week or so ago and they said they would start with a 99.00 evaluation fee including a computer repogram????

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS - The vehicle is a 2004.

And yes - I have probably read every single POST on the web regarding this topic

I did see some post somewhere that stated they reflashed this guys computer and the noise went away.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Comp cams makes a kit that allows you to do away with the phasers and lock them, but its a PITA to install from what I can tell.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Computer Repogram