Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4 3 valve new cyl head problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 3 valve new cyl head problems

I am just replacing my right cyl head on a 2007 f150 that had a recent problem that wrecked the rocker and left a valve bent stuck in the head, I installed the new head, all went well, the left head never had the timing chain removed ,i put the right timing chain on, lined up the single black link on both chains with the dot on the bottom of the crank gear, on the left head it had the two black links on either side of the letter l and on the right head it had the two black links on either side if the letter r, according to my manual this is timed correctly.
I checked, double checked, took pictures, checked again, yes its timed right exactly how the manual says, so i turn it over with no spark plugs in holes and as the lobes on the cam on the new cyl head get down to maximum push on the valves, they make kind of a clicking noise and seem to pop over center, there is no resistance on the ratchet i am using to turn it over so i dont think its hitting the valves.

Is this caused by the lifters not being oiled up? is there a way that this could be out of time and touching the valves?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it also seems to the lobe coming over the middle valve when it makes this noise
Old 06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Junior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a bore scope?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:33 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Did you oil prime the lash adjusters

When I did the whole front timing job, Part of that was to replace lash adjusters .
I had to because number 8 had thrown a roller to the side of the valve cover . So I figured the lash adjusters at 160 k had to be changed and all the rollers . I lifted the cams only after I had no 1 top dead center and the lobes on no 1 and number 5 oriented the way the book calls for . I marked the cam shafts so I could put them back the same way . also the cam journals have to be marked and put back the same exact way . Did you soak the lash adjusters and prime them good over night . Did you relube the camshaft . I carefully re-torqued the camshafts .
When re-timing the engine chains I could tell my passenger side had jumped time by several teeth due to the marks I had put on the cams . This was the side with the broken guides .
I turned the engine more than a few times by hand to make sure no interference or funny stuff .You must be sure it clears on at least two revolutions of the crank .I would also not turn the engine backwards . I am glad at this point that I put a new melling 360 oil pump in there.
Keep in mind also that the passenger side front is no 1 and it also is the right hand position as it is right hand of the driver . I just use passenger /driver side to keep straight on that .
I would guess your lash adjusters needed primed but I've never bought a new head . On hydraulic lifters we always used to prime those as we dropped them in . This is different as you either need to use the tool to pull them or pop them off as you see in the you tube videos . Or you can pull the cams . The tool is around 180 bucks so forget that and popping them in the tight engine compartment sucks .
I do know that I put those lash adjusters in there dripping oil on my exhaust manifold so I was prepared for smoking when I fired her up .
I am not a big engine man so I will defer to anyone with more experience /a different take on this .

Quick Reply: 5.4 3 valve new cyl head problems