Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4r75e transmission upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4r75e transmission upgrades

I have a 2009 f150 regular cab STX with the 4.6l 2v and the 4r75e transmission. Transmission went out last week at 85k miles. I'm getting a ford reman trans put in it but after reading a lot about these trans I dont expect to get much more than 70k out of it. I think the 4.6l 2v is a durable engine and want to keep the truck for the long haul. So when this new tranny starts to go what do yall recomend? Monster transmission or other aftermarket trans or what?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

If I could afford a monster, that's who I would go with. My OD band broke so its gonna be rebuilt instead of repair. I can still drive the truck with the OD off and it still pulls like a brand new one. But I am buying parts piece by piece and then once I have all the parts I want to replace I'm going to either buy a core and rebuild that one or pull mine and build it. When contacting monster about your tranny ask them what kind of torque converters they offer. You want the best quality in there. A failed torque converter is the main cause of transmission failure. You might want to invest in a larger transmission cooler as well.. I bought a rebuild kit from Oregon performance transmissions and swapped the bands for Kevlar for the reverse and OD band.

On a side note.... I have 200225 miles on the original engine and tanny. I have an 04 5.4 with a 4r75w
Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently went through this at 40000 miles just out of warranty. $4000 for a ford reman compared to the $1000 total including valve body upgrades, special tools, and fluid. This is an easy transmission to rebuild. The only special tool required is a clutch spring compressor around $100. I would recommend carbon fiber bands high energy clutches and the sure cure kit from Sonnax. This addresses the high wear items in the valve body like the OD servo piston. If you skip this you will likely be back in it. A stock rebuild kit is only about $250.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$4,000 for a remanufactured? Ford lists them right at around $2,050 and it's a 10 hour job by the book. My dealer charges 95 an hour so I was out the door for 3k and it included new converter and trans cooler plus flushing the lines before the install. It's running great now, hopefully it will hold up until the 200k milestone. When it goes I think I'm going to go the monster route. Thanks for the input, glad to see some people on here know more than how to paint emblems and buy bigger tires haha.

Quick Reply: 4r75e transmission upgrades