Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4r70w not going into OD

Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4r70w not going into OD

Hi y'all,
The most newestest member already has a question. Wrecked my 98 f150 with a 4.6 and E40D. Bought a 97 f250 with a good body,(supposedly) good 4r70w and a bad 5.4 engine. Swapped the 4.6 into the f250 along with wiring harness and PCM. Starts, runs, drives and all is well, except---- it will not shift into 4th gear. As it gets up to 45 mph it actually downshifts to second. With OD turned off it stays in third. I rarely go over 55 so this is not the end of the world but I'd like it to work. The only other issue is a somewhat jumpy 1-2 shift. Is this 4r70w bad from the get go? Seller(city electric dept. ) says it probably never even got up to 4 th just poking around town and suggested pouring in some"transmedic". Or did I mess it up by pairing it with a PCM that was running a E4OD before?? I still have the E4OD out of the wrecked truck and probably could swap it in in about a day or so, but I am certainly hoping for an easier fix. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Nick.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Sgt Shawshank

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nickgerteis
Hi y'all,
The most newestest member already has a question. Wrecked my 98 f150 with a 4.6 and E40D. Bought a 97 f250 with a good body,(supposedly) good 4r70w and a bad 5.4 engine. Swapped the 4.6 into the f250 along with wiring harness and PCM. Starts, runs, drives and all is well, except---- it will not shift into 4th gear. As it gets up to 45 mph it actually downshifts to second. With OD turned off it stays in third. I rarely go over 55 so this is not the end of the world but I'd like it to work. The only other issue is a somewhat jumpy 1-2 shift. Is this 4r70w bad from the get go? Seller(city electric dept. ) says it probably never even got up to 4 th just poking around town and suggested pouring in some"transmedic". Or did I mess it up by pairing it with a PCM that was running a E4OD before?? I still have the E4OD out of the wrecked truck and probably could swap it in in about a day or so, but I am certainly hoping for an easier fix. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Nick.
So your using the E4OD tcm to control the 4r70w?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 PM

I'm sorry but I don't know what a TCM is. I did swap the computer aka PCM into the f250 along with the 4.6 engine because the 4.6 has coil packs instead of the 5.4's COP setup. The connector for the wiring harness coming from the transmission was the same in both trucks and the 4r70w plugged right up into where the E4OD had been plugged in before. But that alone of course does not necessarily mean that the PCM and the 4r70w can happily communicate---that's what I'm trying to find out. And if they can communicate, what internal issues of the 4r70w would keep it from shifting into OD? Thank you!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Sgt Shawshank

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nickgerteis
I'm sorry but I don't know what a TCM is. I did swap the computer aka PCM into the f250 along with the 4.6 engine because the 4.6 has coil packs instead of the 5.4's COP setup. The connector for the wiring harness coming from the transmission was the same in both trucks and the 4r70w plugged right up into where the E4OD had been plugged in before. But that alone of course does not necessarily mean that the PCM and the 4r70w can happily communicate---that's what I'm trying to find out. And if they can communicate, what internal issues of the 4r70w would keep it from shifting into OD? Thank you!
The tcm is the transmission control module. If the computer is tuned for an E4OD it will try to shift the 4r70w that way. The 3-4 solenoid on the E4OD could be wired the same as the 3-2 solenoid on the other tranny. Could be why it's trying to shift down instead of up. Your best option would be to have some one install the new tranny's shift maps to the old computer otherwise it'll never work right. What was wrong with the 5.4 that was in it? And why would you waste the time of getting an f250 to put your 4.6 into and not another f150 with a blown engine but same tranny
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM

F 150 and 250 were the same those years so I was able to swap over all the miscellaneous stuff(seat, glove box etc etc) that was torn up in the F 250. It was only $ 500, about what it would have brought at the junkyard--and the tank was full,too. Seller said that the engine is badly worn and needed to be rebuilt or replaced. I was able to start it up enough to put it on a trailer and take it to my shop, but it barely did that. But that's all said and done now, I'll try your suggestion for the tranny and if all else fails I'll just swap in the E4OD out of the wrecked truck. Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4r70w not going into OD