Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4R70W built to hold ford lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4R70W built to hold ford lightning

Can anyone give me some specific things to ask for when I take my transmission to the shop to have it built for my ford lightning engine swap in my 1998 F150 with 37s and 4:88 gears.

So far I have : high stall converter, shift kit, big trans cooler. What more?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

what is the estimated HP and torque for this engine?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mitymerc
what is the estimated HP and torque for this engine?
380hp/420tq
Old 05-03-2016, 02:41 PM

heavy duty stock rebuild should handle that kind of power, use the OEM/raysbestos clutches (black carbon direct and intermediate)

make sure the shop uses the one piece/solid teflon seals on the output shaft for the direct clutch drum. install a hardened/300m intermediate stub shaft. use the updated factory OD band and intermediate one way clutch. 7L3Z-7A089-D clutch, 7L3Z-7F196-A OD band. replace the factory one way clutch snap ring with an aftermarket spiral ring. enlarge the oil feed holes on the direct drum to 1/16" and oil feed hole in the pump stator for one way clutch to 3/32" . make sure to inspect front pump for wear on the housing and replace the pump gears.

most aftermarket shift kits for this transmission are bad new and usually cause more damage than they are worth. Instead, perform the Jmod and dill the feed holes in the separator plate for firmer shifts. replace the pressure regulator valve in the valve body with the Sonnax replacement. also install the Sonnax OD servo pin.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mitymerc
heavy duty stock rebuild should handle that kind of power, use the OEM/raysbestos clutches (black carbon direct and intermediate) make sure the shop uses the one piece/solid teflon seals on the output shaft for the direct clutch drum. install a hardened/300m intermediate stub shaft. use the updated factory OD band and intermediate one way clutch. 7L3Z-7A089-D clutch, 7L3Z-7F196-A OD band. replace the factory one way clutch snap ring with an aftermarket spiral ring. enlarge the oil feed holes on the direct drum to 1/16" and oil feed hole in the pump stator for one way clutch to 3/32" . make sure to inspect front pump for wear on the housing and replace the pump gears. most aftermarket shift kits for this transmission are bad new and usually cause more damage than they are worth. Instead, perform the Jmod and dill the feed holes in the separator plate for firmer shifts. replace the pressure regulator valve in the valve body with the Sonnax replacement. also install the Sonnax OD servo pin.
What about the sprag?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hpistar25
What about the sprag?
There is no "sprag"... there is a mechanical diode one way clutch, it mounts on the reverse drum. the heavy duty factory replacement part is 7L3Z-7A089-D
use the after market spiral ring to secure it to the reverse drum

Quick Reply: 4R70W built to hold ford lightning