Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4R70W accumulator springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 4R70W accumulator springs

I just picked up a 2002 fx4 f-150 with the 4.6 automatic and 4x4 which I believe means I have the 4R70W transmission. The guy told me it has had a shift kit put in it and showed me the work order which presented the spring codes/colors used. Right now it shifts too firm for my liking. Under 2k rpms it shifts just how I like it but then take it up to 2500+rpm and the 1-2 is too harsh and the 2-3 even a little too harsh but I'm more concerned with the 1-2 shift.

It has a ddark blue inner bottom springs, a yellow bottom outer spring, and a light green top spring. These are for the 1-2 shift. Anybody know if there is a step or two less harsh/aggressive yet still more firm than a factory transmission?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM
USN Retired 1992-2012

Received 243 Likes on 122 Posts

Go back to the factory springs if it's to harsh imho or get with the maker of the kit and buy less aggressive springs made for that kit.

Richard
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM

The previous owner doesn't remember the brand or model of the shift kit because it was in the truck before he owned it and he put softer accumulator springs in than the previous guy because he was hauling a car with the truck, so he had extra stiff springs installed. The guy who owned it before me put softer springs in but they are still stiff, and he towed a smaller load than the guy before hauling the car. I don't tow anything with my truck and if I do it will probably not be over 2000 lbs. The previous owner used factory FORD springs which are in it now, here are those part numbers:

inner bottom spring (dark blue) part # 1L3Z-7F284-AA
outer bottom spring (yellow) part # 1L3Z-7F284-BA
top spring (light green) part # 1W7Z-7F284-AA

what colors/part numbers are stock for this truck? How much stiffer should this set-up be over stock?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
USN Retired 1992-2012

Originally Posted by redlinedfx4
The previous owner doesn't remember the brand or model of the shift kit because it was in the truck before he owned it and he put softer accumulator springs in than the previous guy because he was hauling a car with the truck, so he had extra stiff springs installed. The guy who owned it before me put softer springs in but they are still stiff, and he towed a smaller load than the guy before hauling the car. I don't tow anything with my truck and if I do it will probably not be over 2000 lbs. The previous owner used factory FORD springs which are in it now, here are those part numbers:

inner bottom spring (dark blue) part # 1L3Z-7F284-AA
outer bottom spring (yellow) part # 1L3Z-7F284-BA
top spring (light green) part # 1W7Z-7F284-AA

what colors/part numbers are stock for this truck? How much stiffer should this set-up be over stock?
http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/...rtnumbers.html

Richard
Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM

well I apparently have the original springs in there now, what else could be done to my transmission to make it shift this hard? It shifts at the proper rpm, without hesitation, it only shifts hard on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, and it is very consistent. No programmer has been used on this vehicle.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
USN Retired 1992-2012

well I apparently have the original springs in there now, what else could be done to my transmission to make it shift this hard? It shifts at the proper rpm, without hesitation, it only shifts hard on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, and it is very consistent. No programmer has been used on this vehicle.
Some shift kits require changing out springs and valves in the valvebody for the shift valves or throttle valve itself. Additionally, some remove checkballs as well. This maybe what was done on your transmission.

Richard

Last edited by mrgooden; 05-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM

is there a way to tell if your transmission is working properly and is supposed to be shifting hard versus if its shifting hard because of a problem?

I had a 2000 ranger before with a transmission that went bad, it shifted super hard when it was going out on the 1-2, harder than this, and I don't think I could make it shift soft at lower rpms if I remember correctly. Although with my f-150 it shifts just how I want it at 2k~ but too rough for my liking at any higher rpm. I'm not sure if its worth paying to have this looked at even because I imagine it'll be a couple hundred bucks.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM
USN Retired 1992-2012

is there a way to tell if your transmission is working properly and is supposed to be shifting hard versus if its shifting hard because of a problem?

I had a 2000 ranger before with a transmission that went bad, it shifted super hard when it was going out on the 1-2, harder than this, and I don't think I could make it shift soft at lower rpms if I remember correctly. Although with my f-150 it shifts just how I want it at 2k~ but too rough for my liking at any higher rpm. I'm not sure if its worth paying to have this looked at even because I imagine it'll be a couple hundred bucks.
You could have a trans tech look at it. They would probably want to drop the pan etc. Maybe even take some pressure readings. But, with the shift kit in it, the readings probably won't be right. If the truck is shifting good and really just more harsh above 2k. I'd say it's the kit responsible. I used to build transmissions professionally before I joined the military, many years ago. Things have changed drastically since then, so it could be something else. But I wouldn't worry, if it goes out next week or 3 years from now, the same parts more or less will need replacing. That would be the best time to get rid of the transmission kit. I enjoy firm shifts so I'm bias somewhat. But as I said, I really think it's the kit.

Richard
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there I'm new to this forum. And I've been looking for answers to why my truck is doing the same. Have late shift 1-2 at about 3500 rpm. I've ordered the 1-2 accumulator spring and the rectangle shift solenoid. I was wondering if anyone had any thing to add that I could/ should replace while I've got the pan dropped. Any advise would be great

Quick Reply: 4R70W accumulator springs