Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

400? whats the best thing to do ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 400? whats the best thing to do ???

I was wondering what to do i have a 400 in my truck now tryin to get my 460 but planing on building it over the winter months next winter
only problem i broke a tooth off the cam gear so i just wondering if a 400 worth putting a cam into i just need it to run half decent for the summer months till i get my 460 in it
i was thinkin throwin a cam and main bearings and rod bearings in it so i can throw a 4 barrel carb and intake on it only 2 barrel on it now but alot of people told me if i throw a 4 barrel on a 2 barrel motor will blow the bottom end out of it
but the main question is a 400 a strong motor??? i have 411s and goin with 35s just want it to work half decent dont want it to be lazyer than a old skunk
whats the best thing for me to do? please help

Thanks alot!!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Going Postal!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 82F250
I was wondering what to do i have a 400 in my truck now tryin to get my 460 but planing on building it over the winter months next winter
only problem i broke a tooth off the cam gear so i just wondering if a 400 worth putting a cam into i just need it to run half decent for the summer months till i get my 460 in it
i was thinkin throwin a cam and main bearings and rod bearings in it so i can throw a 4 barrel carb and intake on it only 2 barrel on it now but alot of people told me if i throw a 4 barrel on a 2 barrel motor will blow the bottom end out of it
but the main question is a 400 a strong motor??? i have 411s and goin with 35s just want it to work half decent dont want it to be lazyer than a old skunk
whats the best thing for me to do? please help

Thanks alot!!!!!

Its an alright motor, Problem you have is weight. Through the cam in it and drive it til the 460 is complete. I highly recomend stroking the 460 if funding is available. I have never heard swapping a carb to give an engine more fuel making the bottom end grenade. Sounds like pure Bull Sheet, If anything it will wake the ol dog up...

Have fun and keep me posted.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 AM

alrite man thanks alot
yea thats first thing ill throw a stroker in it befor heads lol
i wanna make sure the bottom end is done barely anything for a stroker so
if anything i was goin to get 429 heads and port and polish if i dont have the funding for heads maybe i will whos knows
ill letcha ya know how much the 400 will wake up i know she needs somthing lol haha she has a hard time spinnin 2 35s maybe if it was singal trac but locker in it so she gotta spin 2 lol wheel hops like a bastard then brakes that peice between the transfer and tranny that spacer plate lol and i cant find any of those anymore so i might have to switch to gear drive transfer

thanks again ill keep ya posted
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Going Postal!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try advance adapters, do a search online. They may have what you need or point you in the direction.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Boilermaker

I have a 351M (same block as 400) and they are a good motor. I put an Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb on it and it was the best thing I did. It really woke up some performance. I did this on my '80 F250 and I use it for work almost every day. Don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: 400? whats the best thing to do ???