Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4.6l warm weather egr problem p0401

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4.6l warm weather egr problem p0401

I wonder if anyone has run into this problem. My truck is a 1998 f150 4.6 with 135k on it. When the weather is cold it will not set a check engine light. When it is over 32 degrees the light will come on after about 10-20 miles of driving. It will set both p0401 and p0401pd. I have checked the codes in the winter and the p0401pd will set but the check engine light will not be on. I have replaced the dpfe sensor and removed the egr valve to clean( it looks ok). Thank you for any help.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stock Answer:

The stock response to your question is: Have you cleaned out the EGR ports in the intake goose-neck?

P0401, I believe, is "insufficient EGR flow". If the DPFE sensor is new and the EGR valve is clean and working, then a low flow could be produced by clogged EGR ports or a faulty vacuum control valve, the other device living on the rail with the DPFE sensor.

To check for a clogged EGR port and/or a clogged edge orifice in the EGR pipe start the engine and let it run at idle; pull the vacuum line off the EGR valve; attach a vacuum device to the EGR valve vacuum port and pull a vacuum of 5-10psi on the EGR valve; the engine will run roughly or stall if the system is open and clear.

If all is clean and clear, then the vacuum control valve may be bad.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was geting lean bank 2 found EGR........

the seal on the base of diaphram was leaking. Pix attached. brought my truck back from noisy acceleration.

Quick Reply: 4.6l warm weather egr problem p0401