Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4.6 trouble(Miss fire)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 trouble(Miss fire)

Ok so heres my story.My current 2000 F150 has a 4.6 in it.It has 130,000 miles now and iv done some major tune ups to it.Iv installed all new plugs,coils,and fuel injectors.The truck ran great for a week then started to shutter and spit&miss so to speak after i came to a stop then started to drive agin....so i ran down the freeway and got to work and stopped for the night.then the next day drove home just fine.now the truck seems to fell like its only fireing on half the engine and i have a check engine light that says multiple missfire.What could be the cause of this with all new parts???????

Thanks Agin

Tim Miller
Old 10-11-2008, 07:32 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you fill the plug boots with dielectric grease? What kind of plugs did you use?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by torkum
Did you fill the plug boots with dielectric grease? What kind of plugs did you use?

Hey thanks for the response.To answer No I didnt use any grease and I used the autolite Xtreme spark plugs with standard Gap....Any info will help.Also i bough 8 new coils but not a fors brand or anything like that.almost bought the MDS coils but to pricy......
Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
OVERTHINKER

Do your own search on the truck sites, our trucks just don't run well on anything but Motorcraft OEMs. Pull a plug or two and see if you have any electrode left.
The grease is also a must for good spark.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:46 AM

Ah cool I will do that and see what we got...Thanks agin for the INFO
Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Buddy, some pretty good advice thrown at you. Stay with the OEM stuff. Many years of success and failures have prooven to me OEM is the better and cheaper route to take. Can't put up a good reason why, other than experience. However, with the Triton engines, I'm a newbie. Good luck and Please get back to us with the outcome!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
Hi Buddy, some pretty good advice thrown at you. Stay with the OEM stuff. Many years of success and failures have prooven to me OEM is the better and cheaper route to take. Can't put up a good reason why, other than experience. However, with the Triton engines, I'm a newbie. Good luck and Please get back to us with the outcome!

Oh will do.Im gone be working on it this week sometime...thanks agin
Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 AM

Default 2000 4.6 misfire

My 2000 F150 is having the same misfire problems. I changed the plugs (Autolite platinum), but still misfiring when it warms up. When first started in the morning it runs fine. After a good warm up it starts missing/shaking. Now for the $10,000 question! Why are there no codes? I put the scanner on it and all it says is "no codes". Now I'm lost. Any suggestions? Thanks. ED
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM
OVERTHINKER

eddunn1, the modular/triton motor's misfire monitor system is weak at best so by the time it picks up a misfire its very obvious that's what it is.
Did you change your COPs?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 AM

Default COPs

Have not changed them yet. I was trying to determine which one.....or ones....are bad. Put an ohm meter on them the other day, but got sporadic readings. Sure hate to have to replace all of them at $65 each, at least that's what the parts store told me they cost. Thanks for the info. ED

Quick Reply: 4.6 trouble(Miss fire)