Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4.6 miss when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4.6 miss when warm

I have an 05 f150 Stx with the 4.6. It's had some definite electrical issues,ever since I picked it up about a year ago. Strange alternator whine through the speakers all the time, but worse with headlights on. The 5 x 5 airbag chime every half hour or so which I have just learned to live with after replacing the front airbag crash sensor and the passenger airbag light above the radio. Contrary to popularbeleif the airbag warning light does illuminate and the audible beep still sounds. anyway, enough background aI ndon to the problem at hand. About a month ago it picked up a miss when it got warm. Not real noticeable around town but really noticeable at highway speeds. It seemed like the engine would have full power, lose all power and come back on in the matter of seconds. Almost felt like driving over rumble strips, the whole truck shook. The kicker is it would run fine until the temp gets to 190, once its there it would go crazy with no SES light. after a lot of trouble shooting I ended up replacing a coil and it was fine for a day or two. Then it started to do it again and I found that the coil was slightly loose and tightened it, that fixed it until now. The other day the problem came back and I replaced another coil that seemed to fix it for a few miles but it started again. I pulled the plug on thecylinder in question (cylinder 7) and it was covered in oil. I have no idea if it could fire that way but I cleaned it off, put it back in and it fired up and ran perfect until it hit 190 degrees. My question is if it were a broken ring or extreme blow bye, wouldn't it do it when it was cold? Also does anyone know what coils would be in it, like DG508 or DG511 or what? (The ones in there say EE03A 3W7E-12A366_AA 4B2453), I was going to buy a whole set off ebay to replace them all just to rule it out. And finally could it be the ignition control module.

Quick Reply: 4.6 miss when warm