Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4.6 breather valve on valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 breather valve on valve cover

on my 97 4.6 I had to clean the throttle body a few times now from getting coverd in oil from the valve cover breather on the driver side. anything i can do about this?

I was thinking that since i got the pcv valve on the other side just putting a breather on it. would that be cool? just plucg the hole on the air intake tube?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ventilation troubles:

Pulling oil into the intake from the driver's-side crankcase vent says that no purging vacuum is being applied to the crankcase. The PCV valve is clogged or the vacuum hose between the valve and the intake manifold is clogged....or the hose is disconnected from the manifold vacuum tap (not too likely). A quick check should tell you what is stopping the ventilation flow.

The only other fault that would cause oil to blow up the vent into the intake plenum is a set of piston rings so worn out that blow-by overcomes the ventilation pressure. .....Oh, and a dirty air cleaner can cause the problem as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will pull the pcv valve and check it. i have kept air filter clean, so i dont think it would be an issue with that. And i would think that if my piston rings were that worn that bad I would notice it in other areas ...no? I have had some power loss, but i have an o2 sensor out that i am replacing today. i will post on if the pcv valve is bad or not.

thanks

Quick Reply: 4.6 breather valve on valve cover