Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

4.2 v6 starts but dies.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 v6 starts but dies.

the truck has sit for 5 years. its a 1997 4.2 v6 with 180k miles.

The guy i bought it from drained the fuel tank, put a new filter on it, and new bosh p2 plugs, started ran for 10 min he turned it off. left tried to restart it a few hours later and it would not start.

i pulled the plugs and cleaned them, they were black. and tried to start it. it ran 20 seconds max and died out out. just like someone turned it off, and if i try to give it gas it quits running. just like your taking its fuel away lol the fuel filter connect hose is leaking is there some kinda switch that if it does not have the pressure it needs the truck shuts the pump off?

1997's dont have a PTAS so... thats not a problem. (i think)
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony

The guy i bought it from drained the fuel tank, put a new filter on it, and new bosh p2 plugs, started ran for 10 min he turned it off. left tried to restart it a few hours later and it would not start.

i pulled the plugs and cleaned them, they were black. and tried to start it. it ran 20 seconds max and died out out. just like someone turned it off, and if i try to give it gas it quits running. just like your taking its fuel away lol the fuel filter connect hose is leaking is there some kinda switch that if it does not have the pressure it needs the truck shuts the pump off?

start with the basics check fuel pressure, check spark, check air flow
make sure there is nothing blocking your inlet like possibly mouse nest or something if it sat that long.. get rid of the bosch plugs, eec test for codes..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solution

I just experienced the same problem with my 1997 F150 V6. The fuel pump relay went bad. When you turn your ignition key to start the engine, get someone to stand near the gas tank and see if they hear a clicking sound. No sound is a good indication the fuel pump relay is bad. The engine will also not start if there is insufficient oil pressure. The nice part of the story is that replacement of the fuel pump relay is relatively inexpensive. Hope this helps!

George

Originally Posted by Anthony

Quick Reply: 4.2 v6 starts but dies.