Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

300 hp out of a 4.6l?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 hp out of a 4.6l?

Alright,
I am new here and hope to gain some insight into performance modifications for the 4.6l. I have currently e-mailed Livernois Motorsports out of Michigan and Sean Hyland Motorsports in Ontario about producing 300+ horsepower from a 4.6l truck motor and am waiting for there reply. So far I am considering VT Engines stageI cams and Comp Cams cam gears, porting the intake manifold, 75mm TB, 90mm lightning mass air, true 3" dual exhaust, and a SCT programmer. Dose any body have any experience with these parts? Dose anybody know of a company making long tubes for a 4.6l?
Any help you can give me would be appreciated, and I will post the responses I get from Livernoise and Sean Hyland.
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 02F-1504.6
Alright,
I am new here and hope to gain some insight into performance modifications for the 4.6l. I have currently e-mailed Livernois Motorsports out of Michigan and Sean Hyland Motorsports in Ontario about producing 300+ horsepower from a 4.6l truck motor and am waiting for there reply. So far I am considering VT Engines stageI cams and Comp Cams cam gears, porting the intake manifold, 75mm TB, 90mm lightning mass air, true 3" dual exhaust, and a SCT programmer. Dose any body have any experience with these parts? Dose anybody know of a company making long tubes for a 4.6l?
Any help you can give me would be appreciated, and I will post the responses I get from Livernoise and Sean Hyland.
Thanks in advance,
Dave
I have K&N CAI 2.5 exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. SCT Tuner. I am putting 218 to the ground which is 270 at the crank. You did not mention if you want 300 whp or crank HP. 300 to the ground is my goal also. There is not a company that makes long tubes but they do make shorties. Those are good cams for your goals. I am getting the TB and headers soon.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just do an engine swap and swap the 5.4 in your truck?? I mean I think it's great that you have a high goal for your engine but why not do a swap??
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NGM
I have K&N CAI 2.5 exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. SCT Tuner. I am putting 218 to the ground which is 270 at the crank. You did not mention if you want 300 whp or crank HP. 300 to the ground is my goal also. There is not a company that makes long tubes but they do make shorties. Those are good cams for your goals. I am getting the TB and headers soon.
I don't won't to be mean or a smartass but wouldn't it be more logical to save up and get a supercharger? It's hard enough getting 300HP to the ground with the 5.4L W/O a supercharger. I imagine getting a 4.6L to reach that will be VERY hard and consume lots of money, almost to the point were you might as well buy a supercharger instead.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

thats easy....no motor swap required. And SHM can kiss my *** for all i care. If you want to deal with someone in Michigan, contact Mike Tymensky of modularperformance.com.

Go Teksid or Explorer AL block, big bore to 300CID, Crower Stage2, worked heads, manley valves, long tubes, TFS manifold, 24lb injectors, SCT BA2400 MAF, and a tune. Not to mention a higher stall convertor. If you want to make power with a 2V 4.6L, the 5.0L big bore is the way to go. Forget all the whiz bang CAI and a tune kit. Have Mike Tymensky build the motor the right way.

you wont be any better off with the 5.4L, the volumetric efficiency limits the 2V motors. Long stroke and relatively narrow bore arent that productive, if you want to make power on a 2V, big bore on an AL block will do it, the OEM stroke allows the engine to move more air with relative ease.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 PM
none.

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
I don't won't to be mean or a smartass but wouldn't it be more logical to save up and get a supercharger? It's hard enough getting 300HP to the ground with the 5.4L W/O a supercharger. I imagine getting a 4.6L to reach that will be VERY hard and consume lots of money, almost to the point were you might as well buy a supercharger instead.
nope! my car already puts about 220 to the tires, and thats just an explorer motor with a larger maf and a tune along with a 2.5 no cat exhaust.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle

you wont be any better off with the 5.4L, the volumetric efficiency limits the 2V motors. Long stroke and relatively narrow bore arent that productive, if you want to make power on a 2V, big bore on an AL block will do it, the OEM stroke allows the engine to move more air with relative ease.
The 5.4L is 3V.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 PM
none.

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
The 5.4L is 3V.
he has an 02, which means he would be working with a 2V 5.4L, not a 3V. Next, the 5.4L wasnt redesigned until the the 2004 MY. To add to that, the wiring work involved to integrate the 3V into an EEC-V equipped vehicle is MUCH more involved that a simple motor swap. The SilverOak processor must also be swapped, since all parameters are required.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
he has an 02, which means he would be working with a 2V 5.4L, not a 3V. Next, the 5.4L wasnt redesigned until the the 2004 MY. To add to that, the wiring work involved to integrate the 3V into an EEC-V equipped vehicle is MUCH more involved that a simple motor swap. The SilverOak processor must also be swapped, since all parameters are required.
Woops. Didn't notice the 2002 part.

I never said to switch motors tho.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't see a point in spending all that money on trying to make more power out of a 4.6. Why not just supercharge it??

Quick Reply: 300 hp out of a 4.6l?