Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2015 Transmission pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 Transmission pump failure

2015 F150 Platinum FX4. Ball park of 20k miles. My truck wouldn't go in to gear, however the truck knew the transmission wasn't in park (while my door was open). Had it towed to a dealership and after diagnosing it they said it was the transmission pump. It failed. Ok, what's the ETA? They said about Thursday. Then I get a second call and the advisor told me the there was debris inside the transmission and that it would have to be rebuilt (all new genuine ford parts) and I would have it back by next Wednesday/Thursday. Am I wrong to call Ford customer service and tell them that I won't accept them to rebuild a transmission after about 20k miles? After all it was a manufacturer defect. Obviously cost is the issue with warranty repair but a rebuilt tranny on a year old truck? Opinions?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 Platinum F150 5.0 22k miles and the gear in the transmission pump shattered. It's been a 10 days and scheduled to pick up today. New torque converter, transmission pump and clean shavings out of the transmission. It is under warranty but I am torn on keeping the truck. This was going to be my last truck purchase being 56 years old. These trucks should go 250k miles if taken care which I do. I am thinking of selling it.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed, it's hard to believe that this is the best way to attack a new transmission. I talked to the regional service manager and she said that once the warranty departments mind is made up, then there's no changing it.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

That is correct. Let me shed some light on the issue. The tech has to do what's called a cost cap on rebuilding the trans. If that cost is below the price of a new assembly ford will only pay to rebuild it, if it completely blew apart and the cost to rebuild would exceed a new assembly then ford pays for the assembly only. What ford says is final in this issue. Any other questions feel free to PM me with them and I'll do my best to answer

Quick Reply: 2015 Transmission pump failure