Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2014 5.0 ticking with 4,000 miles

Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 5.0 ticking with 4,000 miles

I bought the truck brand new in May with like 12 miles on it. It currently sits a little over 4,200 miles. I do not drive the truck on a daily basis. It gets driven about 2 days a week. It also does not get abused. I have a '92 Foxbody for those needs lol. I noticed yesterday a ticking sound while I was sitting in a parking lot. I got out, popped the hood and I could hear it a little, but with the fan and belts running it was kind of hard to hear the noise from the actual engine bay. I stuck my head above the front tires I could hear it louder through the fender well like it was coming from the block?? I finished what I had to do and drove home. I parked in the driveway and the noise was gone. I turned the key off and started it back on and within a few seconds the noise was back again. I do not know how long this has been going on because when I drove it sunday I had the windows down. Usually I have the A/C on full blast and you know how loud the damn fans are in these trucks lol so it could have been doing it before and I just didn't hear it. I can only hear it at idle or when revved a little(speed of ticking will increase).

Oil level is good.
Oil change was done at 3,000 miles using 5W20 synthetic blend.

Before I took it in the dealership I wanted to get some advice or more knowledge about this. I probably had the worse experience ever at this dealership when I bought the truck so I can already tell this is not going to go easy. I am not a person to complain about service from someone or a company, but damn they were are worse experience ever buying a vehicle from.

Last edited by Ant85; 08-25-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a video and I wish it turned out better. It's louder in person than in the video. After about 45 seconds into the video(I started it up cold) you can start to hear it

Old 09-06-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant85
Here's a video and I wish it turned out better. It's louder in person than in the video. After about 45 seconds into the video(I started it up cold) you can start to hear it

2014 f150 5.0 ticking - YouTube
I've got a '12 5.0 with 33K on it and mine sounds very similar if not the same. On mine I'm not sure if I've never heard it before or just never really paid too much attention to even notice it. Mine only does it when the motor is cold and seems to fade out after it run a couple minutes. I thought it was the injectors but since mine seems to fade away when warm I was thinking perhaps an exhaust leak or something a lot worse.

Does yours go away or quiet down a little after it warms up?

Yours seems like it's possibly injectors but so hard to diagnose over the net...

Last edited by Silverlx; 09-07-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 ticking with 4,000 miles