Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > Engine / Drivetrain Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,105 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

One thing that is a factor for me is you can't make a V-6 sound good with a performance exhaust. Sounds like crap and no amount of turbo whine is going to help, nothing like the deep tone of a V-8 that says American Muscle. Just food for thought. I didn't even know they had a turbo V-6 for the trucks when I bought mine, I went looking for a V-8 to begin with. All in all it is a personal choice.

I like to gamble once in a while, (Lotto) not my truck pulling a load and falling flat on it's face when the eco dies out and I need power, I know when I plant my foot the V-8 can breath all on it's own with no help from a turbo.
__________________
2013 XLT S-cab 5.0
Rnlcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Member
 
BCMIF150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 481
Thanked 161 Times in 117 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

For me it was the towing capacity and overall power of the EcoBoost. I don't need my truck to sound great, I need it to get the job done.

My EcoBoost fits the bill. My second one is just as strong as the first one, with not one issue with either.
__________________
2013 Lariat Super Cab | EcoBoost | Tuxedo Black Metallic / Pale Adobe | Extang Solid Fold

2011 XLT Super Cab |
EcoBoost | Dark Blue Pearl Metalic | Line X Premium | Traded @ 52,000 miles
BCMIF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BCMIF150 For This Useful Post:
korgen (11-12-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,105 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMIF150 View Post
For me it was the towing capacity and overall power of the EcoBoost. I don't need my truck to sound great, I need it to get the job done.

My EcoBoost fits the bill. My second one is just as strong as the first one, with not one issue with either.

You have 10 extra horse power over the V-8.

I have a 16 hp zero turn lawn mower. I win





.
__________________
2013 XLT S-cab 5.0
Rnlcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rnlcomp For This Useful Post:
Dave7189 (06-09-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 123
Thanked 203 Times in 137 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX2screw View Post
That last part is untrue. Get what fits your needs. The eco is mainly for towing. You will gas it when you get in it so not good gas mileage. I have a 5.0 and love it, also the wife who liked the eco loves this now. Take in consideration how long are you wanting to keep the vehicle. Repair costs down the road. And what will you use it for? Dont let someone say get the eco or 5.0 or even the 3.7. Look at cost, rebates and can get more of a truck fx2 for the cost of a eco xlt. Good luck either way you will be happy.
No, it is very true. The OP said he tows a considerable amount. Based on that alone, the 5.0 will let him down. The 5.0 lacks the TQ necessary to maintain a gear (or two in many cases) when pulling even modest inclines. Additionally, I would rather be able to be at 60 mph when merging onto a freeway than 45.

In the ecoboost challenge, the ecoboost beat both the chebby and the dodge to 60 by 12 seconds. That is a lot of time. The 5.0 would have fared no better- or marginally so.

I tow a 7000lb (loaded) boat and, as I said, towed with BOTH trucks prior to purchasing mine. The ecoboost, for towing, hauling, working hard was a clear choice. If you are going to drive the truck like a car, there really is no difference and at that point it is total preference and preference alone.

Rnlcomp - it is TQ that matters. The TQ curve of the ecoboost and that of the 5.0 - even 6.2 tell a factual story that has nothing to do with with personal taste.

When in the field, I will always choose equip that allows me to pull a 12 bottom plow than a 2 bottom plow. Simple economics.

Last edited by jwanck11; 06-08-2013 at 06:57 AM.
jwanck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
jayandsam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 127 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwanck11 View Post

No, it is very true. The OP said he tows a considerable amount. Based on that alone, the 5.0 will let him down. The 5.0 lacks the TQ necessary to maintain a gear (or two in many cases) when pulling even modest inclines. Additionally, I would rather be able to be at 60 mph when merging onto a freeway than 45.

In the ecoboost challenge, the ecoboost beat both the chebby and the dodge to 60 by 12 seconds. That is a lot of time. The 5.0 would have fared no better- or marginally so.

I tow a 7000lb (loaded) boat and, as I said, towed with BOTH trucks prior to purchasing mine. The ecoboost, for towing, hauling, working hard was a clear choice. If you are going to drive the truck like a car, there really is no difference and at that point it is total preference and preference alone.

Rnlcomp - it is TQ that matters. The TQ curve of the ecoboost and that of the 5.0 - even 6.2 tell a factual story that has nothing to do with with personal taste.

When in the field, I will always choose equip that allows me to pull a 12 bottom plow than a 2 bottom plow. Simple economics.
I too tow a lot with my truck. I have a 23 ft center console boat and an enclose car hauler that I pull. I had an ecoboost and it pulled them both very well, when it ran correctly. I got between 10.5 and 12 mpg towing them on the interstates that I drive with my Eco. I traded it on a 5.0 after a lot of issues with my Eco. I agree that the Eco won't downshift as far down the gear box as the 5.0 to pull the hills. But... My 5.0 is getting a consistent 13.4-15.6 mpg in comparison to the Eco pulling the two. Places where my Eco downshifted to 5th to pull a hill the 5.0 goes to 4th.

My Eco was geared at 3.73 and the 5.0 has a 3.55. I would say that in my own experience the Eco did better around town but my 5.0 gets better mileage on the interstate, and in towing. Also, when in tow haul stopping is much easier with the 5.0. The engine didnt seem to help slow down as much with the Eco as the v8. I think they will both do the job, I just had one of the bad ones. A test for me was getting onto the interstate near where I live pulling the car hauler. At the end of the ramp I was usually running right at 70 mph to merge with the Eco. The 5.0 does the same for me, it just does it without shifting out of 4th gear until I let off.
jayandsam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayandsam09 For This Useful Post:
UIN2IT (04-01-2014)
Old 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Azuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanks: 289
Thanked 457 Times in 315 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwanck11 View Post
You will be very unhappy with the 5.0.
__________________
Mods / Accessories: Luxury Package OEM Floor Mats LINE X Bakflip VP Tonneu Borla "ATAK" Exhaust Llumar CTX 20% Tint LED Lighting Int AVS Vent Shades Tailgate Assist Bilstein 5100 Shocks Retrofitted LED Fogs Clazzio Custom Seat Covers Amber Reflectors Swapped To Black Remote Starter bilinvic Retrofits HIDs
Azuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azuri For This Useful Post:
Bigkw (06-09-2013), FX2screw (06-09-2013), jayandsam09 (06-08-2013), Rnlcomp (06-09-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Member
 
BCMIF150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 481
Thanked 161 Times in 117 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
You have 10 extra horse power over the V-8.
And I have 40 more lb-ft torque.

For the Win!

__________________
2013 Lariat Super Cab | EcoBoost | Tuxedo Black Metallic / Pale Adobe | Extang Solid Fold

2011 XLT Super Cab |
EcoBoost | Dark Blue Pearl Metalic | Line X Premium | Traded @ 52,000 miles
BCMIF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Girthy Member
 
sllydderrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: De Winton, AB, Canada
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 74
Thanked 91 Times in 81 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Don't be scared to look at an EcoBoost because of one persons experience/story. There are over 400,000 happy EcoBoost owners with no problems making 19-23 mpg city & 24-30 mpg on the highway.
FYI he is talking Imperial MPG not puny US MPG!
That said, I don't get that mileage with my 3.5L.

I have many things going against me such as 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, etc.

I tested both EB and 5.0. I could have had a low end FX4 5.0 for the same price as my loaded EB XLT. Actually the sticker was $200 less. I chose EB because of the quietness, Max Tow/ greater payload, and the addictive low end torque. If I didn't need the towing capability I would probably still have my 06 Dakota.

Winding out that 5.0 was pretty sweet though.

Don't listen to those who criticize what they don't have. As often as not they merely want to justify their choice, not yours. Both engines are fantastic.
__________________
2011 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Black 3.5L 3.73:1 LSD 145" wb Max Tow.
Power Fold mirrors | AMP Power Steps | Katzkin Full Leather w/ heat | JBL MS-8 | 20" Black Rhino Serengeti | RAS | FX4 flares | Extang Solid Fold | FX-R HID Retrofit| USB2 | DDT3
sllydderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sllydderrr For This Useful Post:
jwanck11 (06-25-2013), Speedmonkey (12-21-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
EcoboostKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 85
Thanked 126 Times in 99 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
One thing that is a factor for me is you can't make a V-6 sound good with a performance exhaust. Sounds like crap and no amount of turbo whine is going to help, nothing like the deep tone of a V-8 that says American Muscle. Just food for thought. I didn't even know they had a turbo V-6 for the trucks when I bought mine, I went looking for a V-8 to begin with. All in all it is a personal choice.

I like to gamble once in a while, (Lotto) not my truck pulling a load and falling flat on it's face when the eco dies out and I need power, I know when I plant my foot the V-8 can breath all on it's own with no help from a turbo.
You bought a 2013 5.0 and didn't know about the turbo V6??? Have you been living under a rock for the past two years?? I do agree with you that it is a personal choice and for me nothing says AMERICAN MUSCLE more than being able to climb steep grades towing 7000+ lbs at 2500 rpms. You can have the DEEP TONE of your V8, I'll stick with the crappy quiet sounding V6 that tows like a mini diesel. I need a little more than just a good sounding exhaust note.
P.S.- For the record, IF i did start having the fall on your face problem i would probably just trade it in on a 6.2L. Even though the mpg will be much worse it is much more comparable to the Ecoboost than the little naturally aspirated 5.0.
__________________

2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, Fx Luxury Pkg
6.5' bed, 157"wheelbase
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
FX2screw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 212
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
You bought a 2013 5.0 and didn't know about the turbo V6??? Have you been living under a rock for the past two years?? I do agree with you that it is a personal choice and for me nothing says AMERICAN MUSCLE more than being able to climb steep grades towing 7000+ lbs at 2500 rpms. You can have the DEEP TONE of your V8, I'll stick with the crappy quiet sounding V6 that tows like a mini diesel. I need a little more than just a good sounding exhaust note.
P.S.- For the record, IF i did start having the fall on your face problem i would probably just trade it in on a 6.2L. Even though the mpg will be much worse it is much more comparable to the Ecoboost than the little naturally aspirated 5.0.
I like how people get upset then run to the admin about threads getting out of hand because of supposedly the 5.0 V8 members getting out of hand. But when you have little headed people talking about their little twin turbo and comparing to the "little naturally aspirated 5.0", it is just a matter of time when they (turbo's or intercooler) fail what will you have, a 3.5L v6 (some cars have bigger engines in them) minus the turbo. Lets see how well those tow with it sitting in a 5k lbs plus truck. Just saying..

Last edited by FX2screw; 06-09-2013 at 11:28 AM.
FX2screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.