Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans (http://www.f150forum.com/)
-   Engine / Drivetrain Talk (http://www.f150forum.com/f11/)
-   -   2013 Ecoboost or 5.0L V8 ? (http://www.f150forum.com/f11/2013-ecoboost-5-0l-v8-212040/)

3stooge 05-30-2013 10:45 PM

2013 Ecoboost or 5.0L V8 ?
 
I'm thinking of getting a F150 with an Ecoboost motor. I tow often enough that I feel I would like the torque that the Eco gets and at the low rpm's. But my Dad (he's 70) thinks I should get the 5.0L (or 6.2L). I would be getting rid of my diesel to get the F150 and I'm not sure I want to get rid of the diesel unless I get an eco that pulls like a diesel. (I also want the HD Payload package and it isn't available with the 6.2L, so it really leaves the choice between the 5.0L V8 and the 3.5L V6)

But with the recent lawsuit in the news against Ford and the Ecoboost, my dad is using that as ammo against my decision for going with an Ecoboost. Ultimately it is my truck and my decision of course, but he is my dad and I'd like to respect him by at least listening to his opinion instead of dismissing it.

So, I guess my question really is: Does Ford have the problems fixed yet with the ecoboost? If I order a truck next week, what are the chances that I will not have problems with the ecoboost? And how do I convince my dad that Ford has the issues under control?:confused1:

Coho 05-30-2013 11:07 PM

TONS of threads online about this already, but the best thing to do is go drive both the Ecoboost and the 5.0L.

Dealers will be happy to let you try them both out for a while.

I was going to buy the 5.0L, everyhting about it had me sold. then I drove an Ecoboost and signed the papers for the twin turbo 3.5 ! For me the Ecoboost is just a different beast. I was smitten on first drive.

Bigkw 06-01-2013 10:55 PM

I drove both, decided the 5.0 was better for me. Gotta love the sound of that V8 power. Both seemed to pull the same on a short test drive. From all that I read I am sure you can tell the difference when towing. Since I won't be doing much towing the 5.0 was an easy decision but I wouldn't be scared of buying the Ecoboost.

jayandsam09 06-01-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooge (Post 2733791)
I'm thinking of getting a F150 with an Ecoboost motor. I tow often enough that I feel I would like the torque that the Eco gets and at the low rpm's. But my Dad (he's 70) thinks I should get the 5.0L (or 6.2L). I would be getting rid of my diesel to get the F150 and I'm not sure I want to get rid of the diesel unless I get an eco that pulls like a diesel. (I also want the HD Payload package and it isn't available with the 6.2L, so it really leaves the choice between the 5.0L V8 and the 3.5L V6)

But with the recent lawsuit in the news against Ford and the Ecoboost, my dad is using that as ammo against my decision for going with an Ecoboost. Ultimately it is my truck and my decision of course, but he is my dad and I'd like to respect him by at least listening to his opinion instead of dismissing it.

So, I guess my question really is: Does Ford have the problems fixed yet with the ecoboost? If I order a truck next week, what are the chances that I will not have problems with the ecoboost? And how do I convince my dad that Ford has the issues under control?:confused1:

No, they don't have the problems fixed. I had one of the bad ones for a year and it went back 19 times. I worked a deal with them to trade it for a 13 5.0. I am getting better mpg on the highway with the 5.0 but I think the Eco got a lil better for me around town. I have also gotten better mpg towing with the 5.0. I think ford has a great concept with the ecoboost but there are still bugs somewhere in the system that they can't fix.

One of my co-workers bought 2013 Eco thinking they'd fixed it and he started having the same issues I had with mine. His truck has 1800 miles on it now. Two weeks ago he experienced his first episode of limp mode and shaking of the whole truck/loss of power. All while towing.

As you said the choice is yours and the test drive I did a little over a year ago sold me on the ecoboost too. I too traded a diesel and thought it'd be the most like it. When it ran like it did on the test drive it was great, but not worth the risk to me anymore. I hope if you choose the Eco that you get one of the good ones. There's no doubt that the f150's are really nice trucks

Coho 06-05-2013 04:28 AM

Don't be scared to look at an EcoBoost because of one persons experience/story. There are over 400,000 happy EcoBoost owners with no problems making 19-23 mpg city & 24-30 mpg on the highway.

2002FX4 06-05-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coho (Post 2746699)
There are over 400,000 happy EcoBoost owners with no problems making 19-23 mpg city & 24-30 mpg on the highway.

:bsmeter:

jwanck11 06-07-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stooge (Post 2733791)
I'm thinking of getting a F150 with an Ecoboost motor. I tow often enough that I feel I would like the torque that the Eco gets and at the low rpm's. But my Dad (he's 70) thinks I should get the 5.0L (or 6.2L). I would be getting rid of my diesel to get the F150 and I'm not sure I want to get rid of the diesel unless I get an eco that pulls like a diesel. (I also want the HD Payload package and it isn't available with the 6.2L, so it really leaves the choice between the 5.0L V8 and the 3.5L V6)

But with the recent lawsuit in the news against Ford and the Ecoboost, my dad is using that as ammo against my decision for going with an Ecoboost. Ultimately it is my truck and my decision of course, but he is my dad and I'd like to respect him by at least listening to his opinion instead of dismissing it.

So, I guess my question really is: Does Ford have the problems fixed yet with the ecoboost? If I order a truck next week, what are the chances that I will not have problems with the ecoboost? And how do I convince my dad that Ford has the issues under control?:confused1:

Aside from all of the my truck is better than your truck noise you will get, consider getting the truck that best suits your needs.

I towed with both. You will be very unhappy with the 5.0.

maxwellma 06-07-2013 01:54 PM

I drove both and bought the ecoboost. I like the way it pulled better than the 5.0. Both are nice trucks you will not go wrong with either. I asked if I could pull my camper with both and the dealer let me thats why I decided on the eco pulled so much easier.

stx03 06-07-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coho (Post 2746699)
There are over 400,000 happy EcoBoost owners with no problems making 19-23 mpg city & 24-30 mpg on the highway.

Just when you think Ecoboost owners can't get anymore delusional, this.
This is by far the craziest thing I've ever read since joining. BY FAR.


Or wait, you were trolling, right ? I sure hope so
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...-face-meme.png

FX2screw 06-07-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwanck11 (Post 2752177)

Aside from all of the my truck is better than your truck noise you will get, consider getting the truck that best suits your needs.

I towed with both. You will be very unhappy with the 5.0.

That last part is untrue. Get what fits your needs. The eco is mainly for towing. You will gas it when you get in it so not good gas mileage. I have a 5.0 and love it, also the wife who liked the eco loves this now. Take in consideration how long are you wanting to keep the vehicle. Repair costs down the road. And what will you use it for? Dont let someone say get the eco or 5.0 or even the 3.7. Look at cost, rebates and can get more of a truck fx2 for the cost of a eco xlt. Good luck either way you will be happy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com