Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2012 Engine Pinging

Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2012 Engine Pinging

Hello all. I have a 2012 F150 Supercrew 5.0L with about 16650 miles on it. About 2 days ago I started hearing a pinging sound. The sound is most noticeable when driving at a set speed (any speed whether on a surface street or highway) and nudging the accelerator or when going up a slight incline on the highway. I can duplicate the sound at will. The only modification I have on my truck is a K&N CAI #63-2581. I installed it about a week after New Year's Day but hadn't noticed any noise before. I called K&N and spoke to a technical advisor (Joel - nice guy). He stated that it sounded like a fuel issue and not something with the kit. He suggested going back to stock and checking to see if the noise stopped. If it does, he said K&N would issue me a refund (shame because I really like the added power I got with the kit). If the problem continues then I have to take it to the dealership and have it checked out. I should mention that I have no engine lights on. Has anyone else had this type of problem with their trucks? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Engine Pinging